Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Had to fix a coolant leak, it was the gasket in the Thermosat housing/cover- I hope.It might have been coming through te bolt holes. If so,that will not be a hard fix either. While I was doing this in a parking lot, yet once again, someone came by and asked if I wanted to sell it, and as I always do, I grinned and said "Never!" lol

... I just ordered a redline weber conversion kit ...

Awesome! ...  Thumbup.jpg ... Good Luck!

I know yours is an EA81 engine, and this Writeup on the Subject is about such conversion on a EA82 engine, but lots of info here applies to both engines:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/

The main difference is on the adapter Plates.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Well.. I did it, I just ordered a redline weber conversion kit from JAM Engineering for my '86 Brat

I've been having so much trouble with my old hitachi, I just can't take it anymore. 

+1 to JAM Engineering, I found them excellent to deal with.

Tom

• Like 1

Awesome! ...  Thumbup.jpg ... Good Luck!

I know yours is an EA81 engine, and this Writeup on the Subject is about such conversion on a EA82 engine, but lots of info here applies to both engines:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/

The main difference is on the adapter Plates.

Kind Regards.

Thank you so much. I spent some time searching through the forum for write ups on this and couldn't find anything good.

I read about your problems with the adapter plate, and was wondering if you knew of any better adapters that fit the EA81 intake manifold. Or is the bolt size problem specific to the EA82 manifold?

Also, you mentioned the extra water passages to be filled. Does this need to be done on the EA81 as well?

Thank you so much for your wonderful write ups. Your knowledge is second to none and you write so clearly. Thank you again!

Edited by belacane
  • Like 1

Thank you so much. I spent some time searching through the forum for write ups on this and couldn't find anything good.

I read about your problems with the adapter plate, and was wondering if you knew of any better adapters that fit the EA81 intake manifold. Or is the bolt size problem specific to the EA82 manifold?

Also, you mentioned the extra water passages to be filled. Does this need to be done on the EA81 as well?

Thank you so much for your wonderful write ups. Your knowledge is second to none and you write so clearly. Thank you again!

I used jeszek's initial approach to the water passage and that was to just use shellac on the manifold and gasket and seal it that way. I think Jeszek wound up having that filled in the long run because he was removing the carburettor a lot and eventually the gasket started to leak around that coolant port.

At any rate, I haven't had any trouble with it 6 months in.

• Like 1

Well, last night I finally sold the shell/canopy! Yea!

I was only asking $40 at thispoint, but The guy (a member on here) gave me $60! Who ever does that, eh?!?

Just driving it across the parkinglot I could already feel a definite difference in the handling.

I so happy!

I can finally get in all around the bed to start cleaning it up and taking steps toward some of the improvements I want to make.

I have to get rid of some of the stuff I was accumulating in the back, lol.

In other news, I have had an offer for some temp work that will likely evolve into political fundraising if I know the place.

Have to puta priority on getting my behemouth Van registered first thing, then comes the Brat and all that needs to be done and that I want to do!

I have received 4 incidents of people raving about my Brat in the last week or so. Constant reenforcement that I madea good and fatefull decision to get it!

I've owned over 20 different vehicles in my life, not including Subarus - Ford, Dodge, Chevy; Cars, Pickups, Vans, and nothing ever got the raves I get for this Brat.  I will be posting pics....

• Like 2

Yay!  I finally finished my gas tank install..  I had to get a different hose clamp since one of the factory ones was giving me grief so I grabbed pliers and gave them a solid yank when the screw head stripped.  No to finish the honey do's before I can put in a working sender and fill her up.

• Like 1

Scored these lights from stewartkb. He fabbed these himself. Pretty cool i think. Not hooked up yet, but i did get them mounted. Will get them operational next weekend.

http--,,--//PA050557_zps085f36f2.jpg

http://PA050558_zps1274f058.jpg

Cool lights.

I have a slightly harder road to go, as I am going for straight street looks - fairly uncommon among Subaru Brat fans, who I am told mostly go for the off-road improvements and look, or are fairly frugal people who appreciate the gas mileage and reliability. Not too many custom paint jobs out there when I did a google image search.

I will not be installing a roll bar, as that leans more to off-roading side of things, and once I paint mine, I wil not be in a hurry to push through brush and getting it all muddy. I really wanted to put a police-style flashing light bar with blue lights on mine, ( its gonna be a blue(s) theme ) but when I checked, they are not leagal for street use even on special occasion unless its some kind of car show or something, (snif) :(

Installed a 6 accessory fuse block into the rear.  Hope to eventually cover this with a ABS sheet so that I can install a couple 12v outlets, a dual USB charge port and eventually a power inverter.  The rest of the spots will be used for backup lights and whatever else I can fit back there.

BmsD0rL.jpg

• Like 5

Cranked it over several times, spewed about 2-3 quarts of oil out the pressure gauge hole in the front of the block because the machinist took it out without notifying me or returning the plug to me.

Now at work I will buy more oil, more break in additive and a freaking NTP plug because that's the ONLY american fitting on the whole (insert expletive)ing engine.

But soon my pretties, soooooon...

IT WILL BE ALIVE!!!

Twitch

• Like 2

Thank you so much. I spent some time searching through the forum for write ups on this and couldn't find anything good. Thank you so much for your wonderful write ups. ...

You're Welcome!

...and Thank you for your Kind words which are Really Appreciated.

... I read about your problems with the adapter plate, and was wondering if you knew of any better adapters that fit the EA81 intake manifold. Or is the bolt size problem specific to the EA82 manifold? ...

The problem is specific to the EA82 intake manifold, not due to the Bolt size, but due the Bolts' distance between each other, which makes necessary to use a Two adapter Plates arrangement, instead of a single one; that was the reason why I searched and found the Trans-Dapt alternative, which was designed for Datsuns.

... Also, you mentioned the extra water passages to be filled. Does this need to be done on the EA81 as well? ...

Yep!

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Cranked it over several times, spewed about 2-3 quarts of oil out the pressure gauge hole in the front of the block because the machinist took it out without notifying me or returning the plug to me.

Now at work I will buy more oil, more break in additive and a freaking NTP plug because that's the ONLY american fitting on the whole (insert expletive)ing engine.

But soon my pretties, soooooon...

IT WILL BE ALIVE!!!

Twitch

You mean the mechanic LOST the plug or won't return it?!?

I rarely ever trust any mechanic if I can do somethng myself or can get a machinist to do something.

Machinists tend to be more competent, professional and trustworthy.

I never let anyone use pneumatic tools of any kind on my vehicles due to what mechanics have done.

Example: one Brat I had the oil drain plug tightened so badly that I had to put vice grips on it - so tight that I had to use a big hose clamp to force the handle/jaws shut, and used a bottle jack placed under the handle of the vice grips to jack up the whole front half of the Brat, so the front half of the Brat was sitting on the vice grips handle and bottlejack, and had to then jump up and down on the front bumper/crash bar to get the drain plug to break loose!

On another occasion, I was off-roading, needed to change a tire, and could not get the lug nuts loose no matter what I did, so I had to do a similar trick, putting the jack under a heavy breaker bar on each jug nut, jacking up the whole side of the vehicle on it to break each one loose.

So like I said, I no longer permit any mechanic or wheel place, etc to use pnumatic tools on my vehicles, and generally won't trust them to work on my vehicles at all if I can avoid it

• Like 1

You mean the mechanic LOST the plug or won't return it?!?

I rarely ever trust any mechanic if I can do somethng myself or can get a machinist to do something.

Machinists tend to be more competent, professional and trustworthy.

I never let anyone use pneumatic tools of any kind on my vehicles due to what mechanics have done.

Example: one Brat I had the oil drain plug tightened so badly that I had to put vice grips on it - so tight that I had to use a big hose clamp to force the handle/jaws shut, and used a bottle jack placed under the handle of the vice grips to jack up the whole front half of the Brat, so the front half of the Brat was sitting on the vice grips handle and bottlejack, and had to then jump up and down on the front bumper/crash bar to get the drain plug to break loose!

On another occasion, I was off-roading, needed to change a tire, and could not get the lug nuts loose no matter what I did, so I had to do a similar trick, putting the jack under a heavy breaker bar on each jug nut, jacking up the whole side of the vehicle on it to break each one loose.

So like I said, I no longer permit any mechanic or wheel place, etc to use pnumatic tools on my vehicles, and generally won't trust them to work on my vehicles at all if I can avoid it

Machinist in my case.

I think he took it out when he dunked my block halves and forgot to put it back in. As frustrating as it may be, it was probably unintentional on his part.

So my lack of observation cost me some oil and another bottle of break in additive, as well as a brass plug.

Twitch

On my 82 brat i replaced the autolites spark plugs with ngks and gapped them, wired radiator fans to a toggle switch, adjusted the valve clearance, replaced valve cover gaskets, and started replacing the oil pan gasket. Also i got one of my dads brats running after it stopped running a couple months ago after electrical problems. Turned out to be a combination of a blown fuse, corroded fuses, and a bad transistor box.

Edited by turbosubarubrat