Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Drained the fluid from the rear differential, fringing nimskull that last drained it put the plug in so tight, I had to weld in a piece of 1/2 Allen wrench to get it out. The impact rounded out the inside, vice grips wouldn't do it on the threads either, idiots....

Put new exhaust gaskets on, not the right ones but they should work I hope anyway, the guys at Car Quest lost the ones I had them order. . . .ugh. . .so I added some ultra copper paste stuff.

Went to do front wheel bearings as the passenger front was making bad noises. (1991 loyale 4wd wagon) Also struts so it wouldnt bounce anymore...they were beyond shot. Had both knuckles off car and free of bearings and ball joints in about 3 hours. I was either lucky or stuff wasnt very tight:) i think the reason the bearings failed is because there was no "spacer" in the right side. And the spring washer had machined itself into the cone washer. Baaaaad ridge also like i read in some posts here in my searches. So off to the yard. I found a spacer and good cone washer and spotted a turbo wagon. Woohooo now i have all the parts to do disc on rear...will have to wait and do rear shocks and brakes when i get more money. The engine looks all there if anyone needs parts. It is a 91 loyale wagon in spokane, wa. I think i had some great luck as everything came off pretty easy. One thing is i did buy the dorman castle nut kit with the spring washer. It looks like the OUT is stammped on the opposite side than the subaru oem ones. I am tempted to put them on like oem or use the old ones. I need to get a hosting place so i can put up pics. Oh, found a shop down the street that did the strut cartridge replacement very reasonable and great guy. He will press bearing in so i might have them do it this time. Cant wait to drive it with new shocks, the back to make sure the cooling system is right :) couldnt have done all this without this forum...great place !!!!

WOW that's clean in there!

I've gotta do those along with the oil pan on my GL. It leaks like a sieve, actually drips oil while it's running haha. Full on chassis lubrication system :)

Replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket and grommets, (used Altrom from NAPA, excellent OEM replacement.)

valve cover removed

attachicon.gifvalve cover removed.JPG

new gasket installed in clean cover

attachicon.gifnew gasket installed in clean cover.JPG

Installed new O2 sensor.

Went to do front wheel bearings as the passenger front was making bad noises. (1991 loyale 4wd wagon) Also struts so it wouldnt bounce anymore...they were beyond shot. Had both knuckles off car and free of bearings and ball joints in about 3 hours. I was either lucky or stuff wasnt very tight:) i think the reason the bearings failed is because there was no "spacer" in the right side. And the spring washer had machined itself into the cone washer. Baaaaad ridge also like i read in some posts here in my searches. So off to the yard. I found a spacer and good cone washer and spotted a turbo wagon. Woohooo now i have all the parts to do disc on rear...will have to wait and do rear shocks and brakes when i get more money. The engine looks all there if anyone needs parts. It is a 91 loyale wagon in spokane, wa. I think i had some great luck as everything came off pretty easy. One thing is i did buy the dorman castle nut kit with the spring washer. It looks like the OUT is stammped on the opposite side than the subaru oem ones. I am tempted to put them on like oem or use the old ones. I need to get a hosting place so i can put up pics. Oh, found a shop down the street that did the strut cartridge replacement very reasonable and great guy. He will press bearing in so i might have them do it this time. Cant wait to drive it with new shocks, the back to make sure the cooling system is right :) couldnt have done all this without this forum...great place !!!!

I had similar issue with pics, Photo bucket is free and worked for me.

- and yes, this is indeed a good, rare forum. I normally hate and will not have anything to do with forums, as too many are just lairs for trolls and dog-piling, but here, people are helpful and often know what the hell they are talking about.

Here's to USMB !!! - Can I get a new title over my icon/avatar/pic someone please?!? - Pretty please with whipped cream, a cherry and powdered sugar on top ?!?

• Like 1

I had similar issue with pics, Photo bucket is free and worked for me.

- and yes, this is indeed a good, rare forum. I normally hate and will not have anything to do with forums, as too many are just lairs for trolls and dog-piling, but here, people are helpful and often know what the hell they are talking about.

Here's to USMB !!! - Can I get a new title over my icon/avatar/pic someone please?!? - Pretty please with whipped cream, a cherry and powdered sugar on top ?!?

Use the force Luke......

Or just do this:

In the upper right corner of the screen, select your user name then

My Profile--->Edit My Profile-->Member title.

Edited by MR_Loyale

On my 82 brat i replaced the autolites spark plugs with ngks and gapped them, wired radiator fans to a toggle switch, adjusted the valve clearance, replaced valve cover gaskets, and started replacing the oil pan gasket. Also i got one of my dads brats running after it stopped running a couple months ago after electrical problems. Turned out to be a combination of a blown fuse, corroded fuses, and a bad transistor box.

simply wired in a switch, or switch and relay ? I have done switch only before and noticed it got preetty hot. Think a relay each fan is safer, with very little load on your inside mounted manual operate over ride switch via relay bits

On my 82 brat i replaced the autolites spark plugs with ngks and gapped them, wired radiator fans to a toggle switch, adjusted the valve clearance, replaced valve cover gaskets, and started replacing the oil pan gasket. Also i got one of my dads brats running after it stopped running a couple months ago after electrical problems. Turned out to be a combination of a blown fuse, corroded fuses, and a bad transistor box.

Please use a relay so that you do not overheat or start a fire.

simply wired in a switch, or switch and relay ? I have done switch only before and noticed it got preetty hot. Think a relay each fan is safer, with very little load on your inside mounted manual operate over ride switch via relay bits

A Relay is Always Safer, especially for prolongated use in high current / Amperage Draw devices, such like Head Lamps.

However, there is a way to bypass the need for a relay, which is in use in many cars past and present, but is Safe to use in Temporary / Short time use devices, such like the Horn; in fact our EA82's comes like that from factory: They wire the 12 volts Positive (+) input, Fused Directly from the Battery to the Horns, and the Switching line at the Steerin' Wheel, is the Negative (-) / Ground line.

By using the Negative as switching line, it doesn't get Hot nor needs a relay, but the Horn is a Temporary use device.

I wrote a Writeup on How to wire any Relay for any use, which might provide useful info on the Subject, it is Here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/87523-how-to-swap-the-old-roundie-relays-with-standard-bosch-relays/

Kind Regards.

Look at all them bugs on that plate! And I bet most of them were from Florida alone! Haha

Yeah I really got to give it a proper cleaning. But last week I did the Cascade Loop, a 600 mile loop in Western Washington and this weekend I have a patient conference in Portland.  Still deciding if I will get Crater Lake in the mix.

Added an AM/FM radio from a datsun with tape deck input to switch to AUX input, made the cable, fitted it. Gutted out the tape deck that was in it to hold my ipod and have the switch for radio on/AUX on. Bought new speakers for the rear and ran new wires to them. Works great and I'm not stuck listening to the 2 or 3 horrible AM stations. pics to come.

Tom

• Like 3

I wired the toggle switch in for something temporary so it wouldn't over heat plus i had a fuse inline so if it did get hot enough it would have blown. Re-plugged in the factory wiring after cleaning and tightening a bunch of connections related to it. Drove the brat until the fans turned on then let it sit at idle for 20 minutes to see if the fans would cycle on and off which they did a couple times.

• Like 1

My gas tank is finally in.. I did have one hiccup though.  all in and installed and my dumba$$ forgot to blow out the feed line while I was prepping it for install. so 7 gallons of gas and wondering why it wasn't getting gas to the front filter before I thunk of it.  So I removed the line from the rear filter and nothing. Grabbed my trusty blow nozzle and fired up the air compressor a quick squeeze and a loud thunk in the tank later....crap one more thing on the to do list.  After I use up the current tank.. Now back to the gauge..  3 senders and still nothin. So my most favorite thing to do find the faulty wire..Wishing I had a fsm right now.

Use the force Luke......

Or just do this:

In the upper right corner of the screen, select your user name then

My Profile--->Edit My Profile-->Member title.

Maybe its rightinfrontof me somewhere (my blind spot, lol) But I cannotfind any such item/function as "Member Title". I have looked for this before. My whole profile, andI can find to change just about anythingand everything but that. This is why I made the request you responded to.

Is there any reason I might not yet have that ability or something ?

I confused...

Fresh bed liner, repainted the roll bar, and got the seats in.

http--,,--//P8310527_zpsa81192a0.jpg

http--,,--//P8310528_zps40fd5d59.jpg

Used all stainless hardware for ease of removal and to keep rust down.

Ummm.... There seems to be a lack of space for the heads of anyone sitting in those rear seats, lol...

Maybe small children couldclear that rollbar, but it woud have to have some padding.

Are you keeping the seats for reasons other than people riding in them?

I'm sure it adds to the vehicle value, looks cool, etc.

Can't have too many pics, but i'm gonna try!

http--,,--//P7270518_zps9e46091a.jpg

http--,,--//P7270521_zps47d36b02.jpg

Oh yeah, I also Plasti-Dip the front and back bumpers.

I.... I can't help but notice that in the first pic your Subaru Brat is off in the distance, not being the center of attention, and possibly feeling neglected, as you are giving its brother there all the attention, lol...

Maybe its rightinfrontof me somewhere (my blind spot, lol) But I cannotfind any such item/function as "Member Title". I have looked for this before. My whole profile, andI can find to change just about anythingand everything but that. This is why I made the request you responded to.

Is there any reason I might not yet have that ability or something ?

I confused...

click on

My profile

Edit my profile

Scroll down to where it says profile information

click the text box for member title and type what you want.

I.... I can't help but notice that in the first pic your Subaru Brat is off in the distance, not being the center of attention, and possibly feeling neglected, as you are giving its brother there all the attention, lol...

Nope, they get along fine. They even break down at the same time. :P

Edited by jonas
  • Like 1