Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about gl-10 auto trans

The old lady has a 86 gl-10 turbo wagon with auto and 4x4.

It developed a whine in the trans that I suspuct as ring/pinion bearing going out (also chewed about half way through the diff. dipstick) so it is coming out. She wants me to look inside and see if it can be fixed with just a bearing or so...... Back when I did this kind of stuff for a living I was inside a 4x4 auto and did have to replace the spider gears in one..... but that was 10+ years ago.

My questions would be

1. on this trans is it 23 or 25 spline in the axles?

2. Anyone have a tech manual on this thing...?

3. Worse case senario (alllllll tore up inside), does anyone have a cheap replacement for this anywhere near Boise? Found a couple at junkyards but would rather deal with someone who has a clue about all this.

4. She does insist on keeping the auto but another possibility I am thinking about is to drop a dual range manual (need to fix third gear syncro) in to it out of a 84 wagon..... Anyone know what the ration on the auto in the gl-10 would be? I know the one in the 84 is a 3.9?

Also on the agenda for this car

1. Rack and pinion leaking (coming out and a $40 jy special going in).

2. Engine coming out and getting new seals, timing belts, reseal oil pump, new valve cover and oil pan gaskets.

3. Thinking about removing the bottom of the airbox and gutting the first cat out for more HP.

Anything I am missing on thoughts about making this back to a reliable daily driver?

Hush

Not to upstage rob, who definitely knows his stuff, but.....

Being an auto 3 speed, the axles are 23 spline(sorry rob, been there, done that)

about the tranny.. I have the factory service manual for the 88(same info for the insides of an 86 trans) I don't recommend tearing into the tranny.. special tools needed.. more labor intensive than switching to a manual in my opinion. It would be best to find another 3AT auto to replace it with.. I know where there is one around here that could be had fairly cheap, but I'm all the way in Texas..

If you do decide to swap the tranny for a manual, you would be better off finding a D/R from an 85 or newer.. the 84 is a 4 speed, the 85 is a 5 speed.. and the 84, being an EA81 tranny, would probably require a combination of EA81 and EA82 clutch/flywheel parts to make it work. I recently did the 4WD auto to 4WD manual conversion on an 87 GL-10 Turbo..can give you more tips if you like.

Oh yeah, the ratio on the 3AT is 3.7, the ratio on the D/R (non RX) is 3.9

Hope this helps.

Thanks caleb,

The 84 was a late model 84 and did have the d/r 5 speed bolted to an ea82 carbed engine so that would bolt right up to this, and Then I would have to change the rear diff and also fix the syncro in the trans....... sounds like more work than I want to do..... Could you check the price on the 3at that is in your area and possibly shipping to 83629 for me? Also is your manual in paper or electronic form.... would primarily be interested in sections dealing with the differential removal and reassemly parts.

Thanks

Hush

My manual is in paper format.. its hard to take my computer with its 21inch monitor under the hood of my car:lol:

Were you referring to r&r of the rear diff?

its pretty easy.. pop the pins on the rear axles, pull the 4 bolts that attach the drive shaft, then ubolt the 4(?) bolts that hold the diff to the diff hanger.. the hardest part tends to be removing thr ear axles.. but there are guys here with welded diffs that can pull one of those axles in 10 minutes.. I'll bet they would be happy to share their secrets

Yes, replacing the rear diff definitely is not hard. ALL turbo transmissions have a 3.7 final drive, and 3.7 3 speed autos are rather scarce. You can use an auto from a nonturbo and it will work fine, but you'll have to install the rear diff to match it. I used a nonturbo automatic in my turbo XT and it works great. Doing the rear diff wasn't hard at all.

I wouldn't bother opening it up - if it chewed up the dipstick, then I would write it off. Especially since the 3AT's aren't all that expensive to replace. You should be able to source a good used one for under $200 I should think. And for that price, taking it apart is not worth the work.

Putting the D/R in from the 84 would be a pain - for one thing there isn't an EA82 driveline that will fit - you would have to have a custom driveline made..... the driveline from the 84 *might* fit, but I would imagine it would at least interfere with the carrier bearing on the 86. Also - clutch componetents would have to be mix-matched - not a problem, but certainly a consideration. Also - the shift linkage would be really interesting, and would require some fabrication I think, as the 86 doesn't have the 4WD selector lever mount like the 84..... would be messy. Better to find an 85+ 5 speed D/R. The 4 speed would suck for freeway anyway....

GD