Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 transplant into a '59 Beetle

spikedbeetle

• 2 weeks later...

I got everthing sealed up and put a 180 degree thermostat in. I let it idle up to 180 and took it up and down the street. I got home and let it keep idling while I tried to tune the carbs. It eventually got up to about 200 and my fan turned on and maintained the temp. I am very happy about that. Now I just need to figure out to get it tuned right.

Any advice on basic tuning would be greatly appreciated.

It idles great. It just doesn't seem to accelerate like it should. I step on the gas and it makes a lot more noise and little more power. As of right now. My bug engine was a lot faster. This engine sounds solid. I don't really know what I'm doing.

What vacuum level should I be pulling at the distributor?

sounds like your timing may be off, i believe its supposed to be at 8 btc, mabey 20 btc, the big question is, does that kennedy flywheel have matching timing marks as the stock subaru flywheel?

another thing, when you found tdc, is the disty centered on the adjustment bolt. its easy to be a tooth off... itll still run, but with low power.

your vacuum should be around -10-12 lbs at idle, -20 at +2000 rpm. at least thats what my boost guage said in my turbo, could be different for your application.

id also look into what fuel pressure you would need to run 2 carbs, you said rou ran them on the old vw motor?

Edited by ninjaben43

Thanks for the reply,

When I put the heads back on, I marked the real TDC on the pulley. It does not match up with the notch in the pulley. The marks on the flywheel match the factory notch in the pulley. That is where I timed it to.

The distributor is maxed out to one side of the adjusment bolt. (Not centered) How would a tooth off make a difference if the timing is on?

I am pretty sure the carbs are jetted correctly. My bug motor was making about 70-75 horse. These carbs are supposed to run at about 1-1/2 psi. I can't get it set exactly. I either get 1 or 2 psi.

I have no way to check how much vacuum I am pulling right now. I may be able to borrow a tool in the next couple of days.

:banana: Well, I have no need for a vacuum tool. I simply timed the engine to the 8 degrees BTDC instead of to TDC. I still have a little carb tuning to do, but HOLY COW! It wants to MOVE! I Reved it up to maybe 2500 rpm and left two 8 foot long stripes in front of my house and when I turned around at the end of the road to come back, I lightly stepped on the gas and spun right around. This was over an hour ago and I am still giggling to myself. I will try to make a short vid Saturday if my brother can come and help me with it. I took my wife up and down the street once. She told me to warn her next time I want to take off like that.

It is a good feeling to finally have it all working right.

That is awsome, I really like how you adapted the VW parts on there. Your exhuast is great. Really nice fab work. I will use your write as a referance for when I take my EA82 out of my loyale and install a EJ22. Then the EA82 is going to go into my 74 VW Baja. Again Nice job. TedBUll

bajabug013.jpg

bajabug017.jpg

bajabug008.jpg

Thanks tedbull.

I think you will really like it in a buggy. Even this little motor with the dual carbs has more than enough power to be fun. I am going to edit and compile a better vid for youtube, but here is a short clip for now. It would have spun well into second had I not let off the gas...

th_S6300007.jpg

Well, It runs a lot smoother with the plug wires going to the correct plugs. :-\ ...

haha, Ya, When I got my 1980 Subaru Brat, I didnt know anything about brats.... It was running, but backfiring and out the carb and all crazy!!!! then I found that two plug wires ere reversed! Been fine ever since!

Love your Beetle!!!! That is going to be pretty quick as well...

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, nice niceee!

I bought a used EJ22 for my wifes 63' ragtop, but she wanted it as close to the origional love bug as possible, so out with the 2.2 and in with the Porsche 1400 engine. :) Guess i'll have to put the 2.2 in my 87' gl 4wd wagon. I want to eventually put my 1.8 that is in the wagon into a beetle. It is a strong 1.8 with ported and polished heads.

Thanks for posting all of this man, looking real good!!

• 6 months later...

Well, over 500 miles later it's still running good. I have tried to make it to the drag strip a couple of times, but the track is down for maintenance and weather every time I can go. Here is a clip of 0-70mph.

And here it is with the VW exhaust tips. :)

Looks good. Much needed inspiration for me. I'm about to start soldering on my ej22 to baja bug swap....:eek:

One questions though, did you ever get your outhouse moved closer to your house? It seems like that would be a long walk in the winter :rolleyes:.

Great fab work. Kept the VW feel. Love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ha, That isn't my house. I just went over there to make some noise because there was almost no one around to bother.

The car was running a little on the warm side. 210-225. I put some water wetter in the coolant, added some duct work and bypassed the automatic fan switch and hooked it up to the same toggle switch as my other fan. I turned on both fans as I was getting on the freeway. I drove it at 65-70mph for 15 min. It only ever got up to 205 then cooled back down to 195 as I got off the freeway. 70+ degrees outside today. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...