Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody have a BMW K100?

I've been driving my 250 Nighthawk around the area and it's great for bopping around town, but really stinks for highway. Not only is it just barely faster than the speed limit, but it tends to be a rough ride for its very light weight (about 1/2 that of your average Harley at 300 lbs). So I've been looking around for something bigger for longer trips. I've recently noticed that a 80's BMW K100 can be had for about the same price as a nice same-era Honda CB and about what I would be willing to spend.

So if I go looking at these, are there specific items I should ask about on these, outside normal service? I've heard these things are damn near bullet proof, but everything has it's "must do's". Thanks for any input!

Spent 10 years as a BMW mechanic advice is to find the latest model you can ,the last of the K100 RS models had the 4 piston Brembo brakes and the 4 valve head like the K1100 models.

Much better bike to ride than the 2 valve models.

Points to watch for Clutch especially if it's a city bike,keep clearance at the clutch lever or it's like slipping the clutch by riding the clutch pedal on a Subie.

Gearbox uses tapered bearings if they lose preload it damages the Gears and Burns and damages the shift forks they are not cheap to replace.

Later 4 valve models have the better paralever rear suspension like the K 1100 models.

Properly maintained they will last a very long time and are great to ride,the K1100 models do use a rubber mounted engine that is noticeably smoother than the K100 models.