Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive running gear swap

circatodd

I have an 87 GL10 front wheel drive wagon It has been sitting in a field for about 6 years in Texas with the weeds growing up around it essentially just getting more and more sun damaged. The clock reads 290,000 miles but then engine was replaced 40,000 ago. The body is in great shape, no rust and very straight. Even the seats are in great shape. The other interior bits are pretty sun damaged but workable, the dash is faded but fully intact. I bought it for 300 dollars. just put a new battery in it and it started right up. It runs and drives great though it needs new shocks. I would like to lift it and set it up for off and on-road use and go with the full brush guards and the like.

I would like to know if I can install a 4 wheel drive transmission and driveline from a salvaged one of the same or roughly the same vintage. Does anyone have any information along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can.

Yes, you can search and find plenty of examples

yes, a whole donor car is best

yes, it is all bolt- in except for having to make a carrier bearing mount, and drill some holes for the rear diff

I have done several

Thanks MilesFox! What vintage should I be looking for in a donor car? And can it be a sedan or do I have to have a donor wagon?

Since I know this will work now I will go ahead and lift it and put a few of the other off-road accessories on it. Do you know of a good reputable supplier for about a 3 inch lift kit?

What tire and wheel size would you recommend that would bolt right up? I want to go a bit larger but don't want to bog it down too much and don't want to have to cut the wheel wells.

Best thing would be to find a car of the same year any model GL10 i assume it is ea82 i didn't know they made the GL10 in a FWD anyways years 1985-93 of the body style will work for your running gear needs.

wagon coupe or sedan they all use the same floor pan so all the running gear will work.

Lift kits there are a few people on here that make them a 3 inch should be no problem and you can depending on your skill level make a simple 3 inch at home.

The search function here is a wonderful option and many answers can be had by using it.

Cheers R.

After looking at a few things online, I am thinking about doing a 6" lift. Can anyone give me any advice for or against this? Also what is a good bolt up 15 inch rim and what size would one recommend for a little bit knobby or fat tires?

Thanks