Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen1 Brat Big @$$ Fan Upgrade

Soo my old fan is crapped out, it will sort of kick on and stop, tap on it with something and it will spin and stop again so this tells me its shot. Started to search on here for the best replacement option and couldn't really find a clear answer so I went to Oriellys and picked up this beast...

IMG_20120719_133442.jpg

its the Hayden 3700 16" fan... http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HDN2/3700/N0149.oap?******=Search_electric+radiator+fan+-+universal_-1_3996&keyword=electric+radiator+fan+-+universal

It looks like it will fit like a champ just need to pull out the radiator and drill some new holes. Wanted the biggest one possible since I live in Texas and also didn't like the idea of using the plastic straps through the fins to hold it on so this one will actually mount on the frame of the radiator...might even get to use 2 of the original holes. Will try and take some pictures of the mounting process when I get the time to put it in. Not sure how many CFM the 30 year old little stock fan blew but im guessing this will blow it out of the water. The only concern I have is that it doesn't clearly state that its reversable and its designed to push not pull but id rather try to suck outside air through the radiator than blow hot motor air through. Pretty sure I can flip the fan blades around and just reverse the two wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Project went really well, so while it was out I powerwashed and flushed the radiator and sprayed it with some rustoleum. THe fan is set up to blow out which I didn't want but all you have to do is take the little retainer clip off the blade and flip it over and wire it properly and it will pull air from outside through the radiator. Layed the fan down and lined it up, marked the mounting holes for the fan on the radiator rails and drilled new holes in the radiator rail. Picked up some bolts (little longer than I needed but wanted room for some rubber washers if I had any noise or vibration issues which I ended up not) and some fender washers and locking nuts. Mounted right up and works like a champ! Pictures show the size and clearance. fits great and while I don't have an official way to measure the air movement...I would guess its at least 2-3 times as much as stock.

IMG_20120722_143612.jpg

IMG_20120722_151626.jpg

One tip I left out...use a punch to make a divot to get the drilling started in and if your applying pressure make sure you angle out away from the radiator so if you do happen to slip you don't slip into the radiator and puncture it!

Or really mess up your hand. They are damn sharp.