Ultimate Subaru Message Board

V/R - Alternator Help on a 1979 GL 1600

OK. I guess you can call me ignorant. I own a 1979 GL 1600 wagon. With advice and emails from some of the members here on the board I am trying to fix my car. The V/R went out on the right side wheel well and I am desperately trying to understand all this. This is the first electrical problem I’ve experienced with my car.

I replaced the V/R with a NAPA equivalent and I’ve gone thru 2 of them getting 30 miles of road before both of them went. I believe the part number is VR553 per NAPA. That led me to the alternator. Since I was stranded on the side of the road, I had the car towed to the Subaru dealership. They put a new alternator and a new V/R – this time from O’Reilly or Autozone in - and now the car doesn’t run. Red lights on the dash still are on and the engine doesn’t run. Everything else works. I see comments about some alternators not working right out of the box. I keep seeing people talking about alternator modifications. Some have said to replace both the alternator and the V/R at the same time.

People have told me to change out the alternator with a Mitsubishi one. I have no issues with that except I need to know a model number or something. However, will the NAPA VR553 voltage regulator work with that alternator? This V/R from NAPA I hear is solid state and not the old mechanical type. I am not trying to buy a whole bunch of parts that don’t work so I am looking for some advice on what I need. Trying to find original parts is most difficult and I need my baby running again.

I need some advice or a parts list. A compatibility list would be nice. Is one posted here on the board?

Any help is appreciated.