Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM Dual Carb EA71 Specs

I got bored over Christmas so I decided to strip down the engine and swap in a cam shaft from a JDM engine. I have the high compression heads and the dual carb manifold but neither were ready to bolt on so I just though id give the cam a go. The results were fairly poor so I stripped her down again and swapped back in the stock cam.

Anyway the point is that without engine tuning specs I'm in the dark on how to set the whole lot up.

I intend to build up the JDM engine complete with heads and manifold but would like to start collecting information about this setup. I'm sure this will be useful to a lot of others too.

So.... Please if anyone has genuine specs or sound experience please can you post here for future reference.

Valve clearances

Static Timing

Mechanical timing curve

Air fuel ratios

Carb jets

Porting and polishing

Skimmed flywheel

Valve grinds

Cooling system

Any information and as much of it would be great but please could you distinguish between Fact and Personal experience and Opinion.

Many thanks

Dirk

Hey i'm curious- what was the number stamped on your cam? I tore down a dual carb engine and the cam was stamped "66". My 1980 FSM says ea71 cams should be stamped "51" but I don't know if gen one cams were different? Interested in what you found.

Good question. Mine has 'F59/23E' stamped on it. Also some hand etched initials that I can't quite make out.

Thing is I can't say for certain it is the original cam. The engine had obviously been re-built before I got to it and it came out of a heavily modified track car. Kelford's is just up the road from me so it could be one made by them or any number of race engineers in this neck of the woods.

Clear as mud?