Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old to sub's, new to the board

I've had many sub's in my time, including an 87 GL-10. That one was turbo, 5 speed with locking differential, a working air suspension, sunroof. It "died" at 250k miles when the thing started pulling to the left when accelerating and to the right when coasting. I forget what the the mechanic told me was wrong but was quoted an extremely high price to fix. From there I got an 87 GL-10 wagon with a bad engine. I put my good engine in the wagon and it ran well. However it was not the same so I sold it. Before that I had an 84 GL wagon. I drove it forever. Fun was going four wheeling with my buddies who had lifted toyotas and keeping up with them in the mud and woods virtually anywhere they could go. Only thing that ever stopped it was ground clearance. It wouldn't stop until it lifted its own front wheels off the ground. I eventually sold it as rust was becoming too big an issue. I also had an 88 GL-10 sedan auto with turbo for a short while. I've done much friends in keeping there subies alive who have owned among others, an 84 GL sedan two door, 83 GL four door sedan with sunroof and cruise control, several 85-89 GL wagons (I am now a master at dealing with the timing belts). I currently have a 1978 Brat. This was literally a barn find as the original owner never put it on the road. He purchased it new and used it on his farm. In this time it has only accumulated 47k miles. I am starting to restore it. The dash was a mess with cracks. I got lucky last week and while in a junkyard I came across another gen 1 brat. The dash is flawless and so is the chrome trim, somehow. So I snatched it up. While I was there I went ahead and pulled all of the signal and marker lights for spares as well as the split back glass as mine is one piece. I have acquired two camper tops for this beast as well and yes I have the rear seats. Oh and the new dash comes with an original am/fm radio where mine is just am. Welcome to the future!!! I am pretty sure I want to keep this brat original as I feel it is too good condition to make tons of mods. Well I did replace the original carb with a weber as the original was leaking and barely adjustable. I'll be posting pictures and vids via youtube of the process for those interested. Thanks for reading.