Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission fluid leak.

yep new also. I have a 95 legacy that has a trannie fluid lead that appears to be leaking from driveshaft seal(?) I leaks just about as fast as i can put it in. I dont know where to start as this is my first Subaru. Car was a one owner with 71k miles and in good shape. Only had it 3 months. any ideas on how much this may cost? I am older and not able to do the work myself. Is this generally a simple fix or is it major. Any dirrection is appretiated. Thanks, Jimmy

Jimmy,

Welcome to the USMB.  It may just be that the seal is bad and needs to be replaced.  If it's just the seal, it shouldn't be a major issue.  The drive line would need to be removed, the old seal removed and the new seal put in.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the rear drive line/shaft and not the CV axles?

Ok, yeah then it should be relatively easy to fix.  A shop with a lift can remove the center carrier bearing support which will allow them to pull the driveline out to replace the seal.  If it's just the seal and you have a competant shop I really can't see it taking more than an hour, two hours tops. 

I'm sure there's got to be some Subaru shops in Austin.  Cobb Tuning is based out of there, and while they focus on the performance market, they should be able to do something like this if you can't find anyone reasonable to do it.  Additionally, you may want to ask for a decent shop in the Austin area on the TXIC forums.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29