Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas Fumes - The proper way to deal with them?

Just finished putting a new oil pan gasket and water pump in, also welded up some exhaust holes. Feels great to cross all of these little things off of my list. 

Next up is figuring out what to do with the gas fumes. Welding up the exhaust hole seemed to get rid of some of the fumigation, but there are definitely still some noxious gasses making their way into the cabin - especially when the windows are rolled down. I'm running a 32/36 DGEV on my car with no EGR or any other emissions stuff. I plugged up the lines from the charcoal canister because I had no clue what I was doing. Now the gas tank doesn't vent properly and builds up pressure (yikes!) when the gas cap is secured on. It also takes for f***ing ever to fill up at the gas station due to all of the tank fumes, etc.

So, with this weekend coming up and some pretty awesome weather I'd like to figure SOMETHING out. Anyone out there have any ideas on how to hook up the charcoal canister and get things venting properly? Sure would like to drive my car for longer than 20 minutes, and definitely would like to keep a clear head while doing it! 

Thanks!

The canister should just have an inlet (from the tank), outlet purge (to intake manifold), and purge control line (to vacuum block). You can tee the purge control line into one of the distributor vacuum lines, the purge outlet into the intake manifold (it is behind the EGR mount boss), and the inlet goes to the connection to the tank.