Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soob Noob

I recently purchased a 1994 legacy wagon after using these forums as a  pre purchase resource to look up common issues and the like while I was looking and searching for which car to buy. Years ago I had an 87 GL wagon and it was one of my favorite cars...the thing was a tank.

With the desire to once again have a hill holder clutch (genius) I found my current project. I think I got a good deal, 133K miles, manual transmission and pretty clean body and interior. When I bought it the rear hatch wouldn't open, and the owner said the check engine light was on because it needed an O2 sensor ( they later pointed to the MAF sensor and said "thats what the mechanic said is making the check engine light go on" and ts 300$ to fix)

I drove it 130 miles home with no issues. Spent 20 min opening, disassembling and cleaning the rear hatch mechanism..works like a champ. 

Used these forums to read up on the Subaru OBD1 diagnostics, got under the steering column to find both sets of diagnostic wires plugged in ( thus the flashing check engine light ) Unplugged the wires, cleaned the MAF and replaced the air filter for good measure and good to go. Passed emissions no problem!

Just wanted to introduce myself and and my car as I'll probably have questions as maintenance issues come up. 

Timing belt kit and water pump have been ordered, just had oil trans and diff fluids changed yesterday and will be doing struts/lift soon. 

See you around.

teejay.