Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Opening jammed/stuck hatchback

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Shep2112

Shep2112

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Orlando

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

My 99 OBW's hatchback has refused to open 2 different times in the past year. I've tried PB Blaster, WD-40 and some other lubricants on it, in the keyhole and into the release lever area. I don't know if I got it to open the first time this way, but I did this just now and it worked fine. It hasn't opened for the past 2 months! While I haven't located the exact problem (everything looks good and is screwed in firmly from the factory), this info may help you.

Start out by sitting on the backseat after folding it down. If the toneau cover is in place, pull upward from the handle end. If you lift the roll-up end, the spring will pull it towards the back of the car, scratching your window tinting, plastic interior panels and just generally being a real nuisance. Once the cover is retracted, lift it out and put it to the side or across the leg area of the back seat.

At the base of the hatchback are plastic caps locking the interior panel in place. Put a flat head screwdriver beneath the cap and gently pry it out. Set these off to the side. The interior panel is snapped into place along the top. Open the bulb replacement doors and pull the panel towards you. The entire panel will pop off, set it aside.

The silver vertical rod connects from the handle outside to the latch. I pulled up on that rod and pushed outward on the hatchback and it magically popped open. I can't see anything wrong with it, or anything catching, but I lubricated all the moving parts this time around and I think it should be fine now.

I hope this helps you if you have a problem getting your hatchback open.

-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users