Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car doesn't start - electrical

The other day I tried to pull out my instrument cluster to figure out why the dash lights (for the gauges) don't come on. I couldn't get it out because of the speedo cable but I did unplug a few things and put them back where they were. Now when I turn the key nothing happens. No oil or brake lights, no cranking, nothing. All my fuses are good, I couldn't seem to find anything that looked like a fusible link under the hood... There was a wire that someone had cut before so I connected it back to where it was from the factory. I'm at a loss to what I could have done to cause this. I didn't cut or modify anything.......

If the positive battery cable is still stock, then it will have a fuseable link up near where it connects to the battery. They're actually 2 in parallel, both about 1 1/2" long IIRC. The other thing I can thing of is the connections on the back of the instrument cluster are dirty and need to be cleaned which is easiest when the cluster is out. It will also give you better access to the headlight switch and you can figure out why your dash lights don't come on. The speedo cable should just snap in and out of the back of the cluster. I found it easiest when the steering wheel has been removed to give you more room.

I found the two things I think are fusible links - a red and a green cloth covered wire right? They looked OK, but...

Say I wanted to make myself a temporary jerry rig fix... could I run a wire from the battery directly to the ignition switch or something else? Just to get the car going for now?