Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'80 Gen1 Brat radiator

As those of you following my car fixing will recall, the last thing I did to my cooling system was replace the water pump and the thermostat. I also added a reservoir/overflow tank that’s working quite well. All was well for a couple of days, short trips.

Long story short, my car started overheating again. I noticed that the increased pressure in the system due to a functioning water pump and thermostat had induced leakage in my radiator. It’s on the left hand side (car’s left), between the section with the fins and the side tank-thing. And it’s getting worse.

I found a radiator for a 1980 1.6l brat on Oreilly (formerly Schuck’s) website that I could have shipped to my local store. But I’m not sure if it’s the correct radiator. I did a search for a 1979 brat, and they did not have one available.

How hard would it be to adapt an incorrect radiator to my car? I have basic mechanic tools, drills, and can get taps etc.

It's not hard to put newer radiator in, Ea81 style only needs top holes drilled wider.The ea82 style has larger hoses and so does the ej style rads.Make sure you get fans with them or you will have to adapt them. So mostly all rad will fit with modification but I would choose an ea81 style (best fit). P.s You have an ea71 style radiator, just in case your not familiar with subytalk.

Ea81 = '80 to '84 wagon and coupe dl/gl , '80 to '87 Hatchback, '82 to '87 Brat