Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help me change clutch in fairfield ca

If you can wait until the weekend, I might be able to help, you're not too far from me. I wouldn't be too afraid of it though. Get yourself a repair manual and read up on it here on the board. It's been covered a brazillion times. Use the "advanced" feature in the search window and do some searching.

Will-

Thanks for the help but id really like to do it tomarow.The clutch will be here tuesday so ill start ripping it apart and hope for the best lol. Unless anyone else is close that can swing bye. Really hopeing to meet other subaru nuts in this area.

Thanks for the help but id really like to do it tomarow.The clutch will be here tuesday so ill start ripping it apart and hope for the best lol. Unless anyone else is close that can swing bye. Really hopeing to meet other subaru nuts in this area.

I would totally be down to help, but my swap is taking a lot longer than expected. I should hopefully be done by thursday... Although I would definitely ask for you to cover the gas for my hour and a half journey.

Are you planning on dropping the transmission or taking out the engine?

Well I got the clutch finished Tuesday. Went and bought a comealong and some chain and hooked it to the roof of my garage. Started pulling the motor at 10am and had the car running again by 7pm with some breaks. Got it all done and test drove it to walmart to return the comealong and chain. Lol. I did the whole job by myself with no help. Not bad at all. Ea82s are very easy to pull.

Nice job for the first time, when i changed the clutch in my '86 Brat for the first time I thought I could just unbolt the tranny and leave it in the car, I was a little more then wrong. After a bunch of hasseling with it(a week later) i finally droped the tranny all the way out.Napa gave me the wrong clutch kit(EA82) 24 spline vs 21 splineEA81. I bolted that up to the flywheel, threw my tranny in, fired it up and no power to the wheels:mad:. I was angry and confused where I went wrong.(another week later) I pulled the tranny again(shoulda pullled the motor) and figured out my problem.:confused:(the shaft was spinning freely inside the friction disk) I got the right cluck kit for it which was 80 bucks less. For an 84 Brat not an 86 which NAPA had listed as an ea82? the clutch Its self wasnt that bad, The hardest part was lining up the transmission shaft with the Pilot bearing, after all of that was done I fired it up and it would not disengague all the way, It turns out my pedal box was bent not alowing full travel of the cluch pedal:-\ I bent it back the best I could then I ended up putting a spacer between the clutch fork and the end of the cable. Now It seems to work great with full travel