Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Trans swap candidates, which is best?

71 Ranger

I went ahead and did my obligatory first post in the intro section, so on to the fun stuff! I have found via the local craigslist so far three distinct options for getting drive to the rear wheels of my newly acquired '76 DL. A) ea81 parts car with dual range manual B) xt6 dual range manual C) single range manual gen1 trans. I get that the single range would be the easiest, but I don't know what diff ratio I'd need to find for the rear to match it, and the seller does not have one. The ea81 swap in conjunction with some lift *seems* straightforward, but I'm not sure I have the time to dismantle and dispose of a parts car right now. The xt6 tranny is offered at a good price, but I'm a little unsure if it is adaptable to motors other than the er27. So, what avenue would you all recomend?

If I remember correctly, your starter is mounted dead center on a 76DL.

That means:

Every trans you have chosen has the side starter, and a bell housing change is going to be necessary.

Secondly, I don't know if your car has a 1400 or 1600 engine, I am not an expert on the 70's cars. If its a 1600, theres a "fat case bellhousing" you can find but its hard to locate. This is the only way to move the starter, and have a trans that can actually bolt to it. I dont know if a 1400 engine will work with this bellhousing.

The XT6 tranny mentioned would be a full time 4wd 5 speed with center diff lock. Its not a dual range.

The real way to do this is in my opinion, not worth it but its your car and time.....

Find an 1981 GL Brat donor car and put the engine, trans, rear diff, etc in your car. The crossmember is different, the mounts are different, its a big project.

For almost every one of these project ideas, you better have a welder, time, and money.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a welder and *some* money, and a little time. I am getting conflicting info on the xt6 trans. I was aware that it is full time 4wd/awd, but was under the impression that it had a low range. As to the motor in the car, it does indeed have the starter mounted top dead center. I'm fairly certain it a 1600. Another question for the collective wisdom out there: is the clutch and flywheel from a ea71 the same between fwd and 4wd? It stands to reason that it should be. The reason I ask is that there is a member here that is offering a flywheel and clutch for sale, and he specifies that its for fwd. Thanks again everyone!

All gen 1 transmissions were a top mounted starter, both auto and manual transmissions.

The fat case EA71s didn't come out until the bodystyle change for the gen 2 cars.

Now for the 4wd swap into the DL, it'll be a little tough as nothing will really bolt in per say, without some modifications and possibly some custom mounting brackets. If it were me, I'd get the EA81 donor car, use the rear suspension from it and modify it into the gen 1 body. Then use the gen 1 single range tranny since it will bolt up to the engine. It should be a 3.90 final drive in those IIRC but its been a few years since I had a hand in the gen 1 stuff.

Ok thanks again for the help. I have located a single range 4wd tranny for a decent price, now I guess I need to find the right flywheel and clutch and such not. I just made a post in the historic forum inquiring about the gear ratios in a single range box, but I suppose no one will get too upset if I tack it on here too, huh? Long story short, all the data I've seen on the net includes a low range ratio in their specs for 1st gen trannies. So I sorta doubt the accuracy of the ratios they specify for a North American market tranny. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.