Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frankenmotor troubleshooting 99 Legacy gt

Dirthead

Need a little help. I have a 99 legacy that I have built a Franken motor for. The motor is installed and everything is connected. I attempted to start it and it will turn over but will not start/idle ... nothing. This is what I have.

Motor:

96 ej25 block - phase I

94 - 95 ej22 sohc heads - phase I

99 legacy ECU

Intake:

ej22

Injectors:

ej25 usdm

Timing:

All ej22

timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner.

Wiring:

All EJ25 with the exception of the ignition plug

Ignition:

EJ22

MAF:

EJ25 w/ ej25 sensors

When I attempt to start I am getting spark and fuel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The previous motor ran (2.5 dohc phase I) up until I removed it. The previous motor was pull because of a thrown main bearing.

Edited by Dirthead
Specifics

That's your problem then. You need the small tic marks lined up with the valve cover notches and the small tic on the crank sprocket reluctor tooth lined up with the tic on the crank sensor mounting boss.

The big arrows are a red herring that has screwed up many t-belt jobs. I've done it myself, once. They're there for a different purpose, possibly adjusting valve lash or something. Ignore them and go by the small tic marks.

Get the belt set right and it should fire right up.

I would doubt you bent any valves, but the EJ25d pistons do stick higher up than the EJ22 pistons, so there is a chance.

WoodsWagon,

Nice work that was it. Reset the timing belts and verified that I had the correct marks from (Legacy777 EJ22 timing)- (subaru_manual_scans). Thank you so much for your help, its been an amazing experience finishing this project.

I don't know if this setup has been done before, but we now have a 99 Legacy GT running off a FrankenMotor.