Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New but not so much, also Road triping to OR/WA in a few weeks

I've been a member here for a while just not so active. I'm "sorta" known on ORS.com a bit for offroading a 2007 OBW couple years back (stock, Primitive skids front and back, Geolandar AT-S, plenty of experience). Well, the OBW is still alive and kicking and being prepared for a 'small' road trip in a few weeks with the Mrs and two kiddos. We'll be driving from Denver to San Francisco then up the coastline to Ocean Shores (WA). > Seattle > Spokane > Yellowstone > Denver. I know there's quite a Subaru community in OR/WA, does anybody have some pointers for me while we're up there? What are the rules for camping on the coast? Anything goes or campgrounds only? I've never done any sand/beach driving, what should I expect? Etc.
Basically, I need to get pointed in the "right" direction ;) Any and all help/advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

When travelling between Seattle and Spokane, the Snoqualmie Pass area has some real nice USFS campgrounds.  I would recommend the Salmon La Sac area or the Teanaway area.

A few weeks ago my friend was "kindly asked to leave" by OR police for rebel camping on the coast...not like CA where you can pull off most anywhere unfortunately in my experience.

Sounds like a great trip, HWY 1 between SF and WA is a spectacular drive.  

Astoria area... fun town, area.  At Gearhart, OR,  west of the Golf course, there is a beach access where you can drive on beach. 

In Astoria, there is the Coast Guard/Maritime sea Museum, the wharf's where Sea Lions roost, the Goonies house up on the hill and then the Astoria Column that has stairs on the inside to the top.  Do a search on each of these.  If you want a most excellent place to stay in Astoria (pricy) it is the Cannery Pier-Inn, in Astoria.  Very nice....   If you have time there is the Fort Stevens park and Lewis and Clark State park.  

Astoria Bridge, hwy 101... gulp... way up high when it goes over the Columbia River.  

Heading to Spokane there is the Grandcoulee Dam if you have time.  Its far enough out of the path that you almost need to stay the night if you watch the Laser light show at dark:30 that is shown on the side of the Dam. 

Yellowstone.  "Norris Geyser Jct Campground" has always been one of my Favorites to camp at.  It's best to hit Yellowstone not too late in the afternoon if your camping there on the weekend as it can fill up. There is the Norris Geyser basin that is excellent for seeing mud pots, boiling hot water and stinking water that is just 3 miles from the camp ground.  And yes you should see Old Faithful and the Old Faithful Lodge which is located at the South end of Yellowstone park.   Up north (I believe you might be coming in this way) is neat in regards to seeing rocks, views, wild flowers etc and if you go out North end/East direction I hear that is nice although I have never been east out of the park.  

Take your time in Yellowstone.. the traffic can be stop and go if there are animals on the side.... watch Buffalo, can be grumpy, keep kids close if you go for a hike and dogs on leash.  One of my favorite hikes is the, Artists Paint Pots,  http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/0009artistpaintpots-iy.htm

It is between Norris Geyser Basin I believe.... on way to Canyon Village I think???  check it out, It takes about an hour, easy cool hike, not far off road but enough that most don't go so that is nice...

Edited by Indrid cold
  • Like 1

Astoria area... fun town, area.  At Gearhart, OR,  west of the Golf course, there is a beach access where you can drive on beach. 

In Astoria, there is the Coast Guard/Maritime sea Museum, the wharf's where Sea Lions roost, the Goonies house up on the hill and then the Astoria Column that has stairs on the inside to the top.  Do a search on each of these.  If you want a most excellent place to stay in Astoria (pricy) it is the Cannery Pier-Inn, in Astoria.  Very nice....   If you have time there is the Fort Stevens park and Lewis and Clark State park.  

Astoria Bridge, hwy 101... gulp... way up high when it goes over the Columbia River.  

Heading to Spokane there is the Grandcoulee Dam if you have time.  Its far enough out of the path that you almost need to stay the night if you watch the Laser light show at dark:30 that is shown on the side of the Dam. 

Yellowstone.  "Norris Geyser Jct Campground" has always been one of my Favorites to camp at.  It's best to hit Yellowstone not too late in the afternoon if your camping there on the weekend as it can fill up. There is the Norris Geyser basin that is excellent for seeing mud pots, boiling hot water and stinking water that is just 3 miles from the camp ground.  And yes you should see Old Faithful and the Old Faithful Lodge.   Up north (I believe you might be coming in this way) is neat also if you go out North end/East direction.  Take your time in Yellowstone.. the traffic can be stop and go if there are animals on the side.... watch Buffalo, can be grumpy, keep kids close if you go for a hike and dogs on leash.  One of my favorite hikes is the, Artists Paint Pots,  http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/0009artistpaintpots-iy.htm

It is between Norris Geyser Basin I believe.... on way to Canyon Village I think???  check it out, It takes about an hour, easy cool hike, not far off road but enough that most don't go so that is nice...

When travelling between Seattle and Spokane, the Snoqualmie Pass area has some real nice USFS campgrounds.  I would recommend the Salmon La Sac area or the Teanaway area.

A few weeks ago my friend was "kindly asked to leave" by OR police for rebel camping on the coast...not like CA where you can pull off most anywhere unfortunately in my experience.

Sounds like a great trip, HWY 1 between SF and WA is a spectacular drive.  

Thank you both so much!!! Definitely useful info that I'll research a bit to see if we could include it in our trip-to-do list, thanks ;)