Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22T into 98 Outback?

ystrdyisgone

So a friend's car just threw a rod. It's a 98 Outback ej25, and I'm thinking about buying it. I'm not coming up with many ej22s or 25s locally. Have a line on an ej22t though.

I've been reading up on various forums, and haven't found a definitive answer to the difficulty or remote possibility of the swap. The OBD1 to OBD2 thought seems tricky, as well as the ecu question, do I replace the outback one or piggyback it somehow?

Outback has an auto trans.

Before I give it too much thought somebody stop me! (Or encourage me if it's not too far out there)

Edited by ystrdyisgone

IIRC, that generation you'll need a turbo crossmember to clear the uppipe, or notch and weld the existing one.

OR you use the EJ22T, but ditch the turbo, find an M90 from a Bonneville SSEI and cut a hole in the hood!

I may need sleep..

EDIT: One a serious note, you can use any phase I EJ motor as a drop in(just using the bottom end and heads) as the electronics should stay with the car (intake, EGR, crank/cam, ect) like an EJ22 from a legacy or impreza or 2.5 from a forester.

Or grab an EJ20 N/A off ebay for relatively cheap and call it a day..

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge

Do it to it! I was going to stealth mount an SC14 to the EA82, but some old woman in a Sebring changed those plans.. :(

But check out RS25.com if you're serious. SpudChucker, IIRC, cut a hole in the hood of his 06 impreza and stuck it through the hood, bolted it on top of the TB... seriously crazy and cool stuff.