Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 EJ22/25 EGR Issue

BlacknWhite

Long story short, went to smog my Vanagon this week (I'm in Kalifornia), and it failed because the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve wasn't working. The EMU is from a '95 Legacy, and is marked 22611 AB414. The engine started life as an EJ25 bottom end and uses reconditioned EJ22 heads, following the Kennedy Engineered Products guidelines and using most of their parts. It's a manual transmission, so B84, Pin 50 is grounded. I found a thread here that said the EJ22 in '95 came with an EGR valve only in the automatic transmission cars.

If that's the case, would grounding that pin, telling the EMU the car has a manual transmission, also explain why the EMU isn't actuating the EGR valve? And would connecting that pin to 5 VDC resolve the issue?

To get to this point, I've:
- checked all the vacuum hoses for leaks
- verified that the EGR will cycle when connected to intake manifold vacuum
- verified that the EGR solenoid cycles when connected to 12VDC
- verified that B84, Pin 60 is connected to one side of the EGR solenoid, with the other side of that connector going to 12VCD at the main relay.
- verified that there is modulated vacuum at the Back Pressure Transducer line that toes to the EGR solenoid
- verifed that there is enough vacuum at the line coming out of the Back Pressure Transducer line to actuate the EGR valve
- measured 12VDC between the two leads going to the EGR solenoid

Not sure at this point what else to check.

If there are other Topic Areas here that would be more appropriate for my question, I'd appreciate a pointer as to which one.

Thanks in advance,

BNW

Edited by BlacknWhite
Updated with more info