Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20 Dual Weber IDF's questions

Zender97

Hi guys,

first of all, I want to apologize for my mistakes in English, it's not my native but I'll try my best. I introduce my project, which is SOHC EJ20 with dual Weber 44 IDF's and Bosch mechanical distributor. I've always wanted a japanese engine form "golden era" but without electronic, something with old soul. Now, I would like to ask you all about setting that carbs. I'm sure some of you guys did something similar like putting a single or dual carb on a EJ motor. My question is: can you help me with your knowledge to set this baby properly?

Like i said, I'm using dual, twin barrel 44 IDF's. Their spec is below..

2x Weber 44 IDF

Venturi - 36mm

Idle jet - 55

Main jet - 155

Pump jet - 50

Air correction jet - 200

Emulsion tube  - F11

Idle mixture screw - between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns, out from the point

Idle speed screw - 2 turns in

This is the settings when my engine wants to start up and keep at least 500 rpm.

I'm really confused because I'm going with instruction to set those webers properly like turning in mixture screws until engine starts to drop rpm, then turning out, little by little to the best idle sound. Next, using sychrometer, adjusting idle speed screws. Rechecking everything couple times and engine still won't work like it should. It keeps about 800 rpm wich is good for subaru engine but it's shaking the whole car. When I touch the throttle very delicate, it builds up revs but shaking is still there and sometimes a pop happens. If I want to push the throttle imidiately, it has a lag for 1-2 seconds and then, starting to build up revs.

If someone has any idea, what I can do to make this work at it's best, I'll be very grateful.

Cheers everyone