Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gen1 ej22 question

tailgatewagon

Zefy:

Where are you at with your gen 1 swap? What does it need to get running? I was wondering what kind of problems you ran into when doing this swap. I am SERIOUSLY contemplating this swap and have most of the parts for it already collected. I just wanted to see where you were at before I dove in.

Zefy:

Where are you at with your gen 1 swap? What does it need to get running? I was wondering what kind of problems you ran into when doing this swap. I am SERIOUSLY contemplating this swap and have most of the parts for it already collected. I just wanted to see where you were at before I dove in.

somebody sent me a PM a while back asking pretty much the same stuff. Things i would like to note,

it's still not done yet. a portion of the problems mentioned are still there along with totally new ones. Here is my deal, i REALLY enjoy starting new projects and don't end up finishing the old ones and I just keep tacking on new an interesting things that i would like to do with the brat. to get it moving and such i need to:

-make a trans mount and mount the shifter linkages.

-finish rear suspension retrofit. (more on this when it works!)

-put in dash and button up wiring and redo all the lights n such. Also having the EMS fully functioning with the wideband AFR would be slick.

-botch together an exhaust. (have one that works however i decided to become a header guru and took out a bunch of books to not only design and build my own header but actually understand where the length measurements are coming from.)

-mount coilover reservoirs in a safe place.

-button up odds and ends.

but i digress. big list, no time!

this is the pm i sent back to the person who was in your exact position.

Hey Ed,

I'd like to advice that this swap is 10x harder to do on the old ea71 series cars than an ea81/82. I have put about a year and a half worth of research and trial and error into this. Not really something i can explain in just one PM.

but i'll give you a little shakedown. first off, the ej22 doesn't quite fit... it'll go in, but all in all it doesn't fit... you need to widen your framerails about half an inch on each side. i did this with a MAPP torch and a hammer. keeping in mind i will be reinforcing it later.

second, the old trans crossmember doesn't fit, BUT you still kinda need it for your swaybar and extra support. a notch or maybe even the centre section of the xmember has to be removed. (i haven't quite gotten there yet)

i am running 2.5RS front knuckles. to do this you need to get in contact with gee at crossbread performance in australia. he makes them for the EA81 which fits in our cars. the only problem is the ea81 stabalizer bars are to short and are bolted on while the ea71's are welded on. you can either make new ones or do what i did and cut off the old ones and bolt them to the new control arms. i MIGHT end up welding them but i didn't really want to ruin the powdercoating on the control arms. tie rods fit fine in the 2.5RS knuckles.

next issue with this 2.5rs setup is the stock struts and springs don't fit in the towers. i solved this by getting coilovers. (mine are rally coilovers and are expencive but you can get cheap ones for about 300 bucks)

with this setup you can also adjust the heigh and springrates so your car isn't doing a nosedive due to the extra weight.

now if you plan on lifting it then most of this stuff doesn't apply because through the lift blocks you can accomodate for an ea81 or 82 front xmember and you'll have pleanty for the tranny clearance.

next issue is the rad. now i THINK an ej rad will fit, but i had a performance core put in the stock one just before i desided to swap so i'm keeping it. you don't really have enough clearance for the fan to go on the engine side (just like the normal ej swaps) but on mine i actually ended up moving the rad to the driverside about 2 inches and pivoting the bottom out toward the front of the car because the stock pipe on the rad is only about half an inch from the timing belt cover.

you will also have to relocate your battery because the stock airbox goes right where your battery is. i'm moving it to the back of the bed for better weight distribution. also, the stock airbox doesn't fit... i just cut the bottom off mine and turned it upside down so the panel filter is facing up. a cheap quick fix for now, but a cone filter would be best.

you're right about the driveshaft. it has to be lengthened as the ea71 trans is significantly longer then the d/r. also new holes in the trans tunnel need to be made for the shift linkages. (i haven't done this yet so i don't have a lot of info for you)

the front driveshafts have to be shortened aswell because the ej cars are about 6 inches wider then the ea71. now if you're using a standard non turbo dual range you CAN use your stock axles. but to me this is crazy as you are over doubling the power of the car but it still stops like ************. (i even had rear discs on the brat before the swap and it still didn't stop to well)

also, if you're using a non turbo trans then stock 2.5RS front axles won't fit as they are 25 spline while non turbo are 23 spline. if you're upgrading your front knuckles for bigger brakes and you're running a 23 spline car then get the front knuckles from a 93 ej18 FWD impreza. these had ej knuckles BUT had 23 spline axles.

i am also running a serge tank. weather i need it, i don't know, but i'm running one anyways just for simplicity. i'm running the stock ej22 charcoal can and replacing the ea71 can with the serge tank. (almost perfect size)

run the stock fuel pump for that then run your high pressure stuff seperately off the serge tank. i'm also using the now empty line from the fuel tank (line used to be for the charcoal can return line) for my engine return line. BE CAREFULL WITH THIS. this line runs back then into the rear quarter panel where it goes into ANOTHER charcoal can. you have to rerun the line from that point onwards into the tank. i'm using the rubber line from the filler neck and cutting it in half, adding a sleave and running my return line off of that. i'm sure there are a couple different ways to do this. also, i'm not sure if this line is large enough to use as the return line. it's very small.

i'm kinda jumping around here on ideas but i hope this gives you an idea on what needs to be done.

if any other questions then gimmy a shout. i'm happy to help out. as i said at the beginning of this, i consider this message a shakedown. there are dozens of little problems i've had to tackle with and i'm sure you'll have to do the same.

if you wanna talk more then i'm on msn fairly often if you use it. zefy_88@hotmail.com

talk to you later,

Greg,

just glancing over this i've changed a few things including the fuel system. it is now running a racing style fuel cell so no surge tank and no stock tank. i am using the oem fuel line as my return line and a SS braided line as my high pressure line.

my full build can be found here. MOST of the stuff i've done is on there.

http://www.carfreeks.net/showthread.php?t=2686

hope that helps.