Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 Subaru GL ( How to clean or now the fuel tank is free or rust)

Hey All,

New to the forum here. I picked up a 1982 Subaru GL last weekend for $100.

The car has been sitting for about 3.5 years. I completed the following,

Drained the oil out of car, approx. 3 quarts or so drained from the car. The oil looked okay it wasn't too black, changed filter.

Changed and gapped all the spark plugs.

Drained coolant added new.

New Battery, no battery with car.

I noticed there was little to no fuel in the tank so this concerned me with the rust that could of accumulated in the tank could work its way up the fuel lines and eventually damage other components of the car?

How would one rule out that the tank is free of rust? Should I be concerned?

What is the process like to remove the gas tank so it can be either cleaned out, or taken to a shop to be recoated?

The rest of the car is checking out good, all the wiper motors, lights, including the horn works. I found the original bill of sale in the car along with service records. I want to fire this thing up but I want to make sure the fuel tank is free of rust??

Anybody with suggestions? ?

Thanks.

Rollerball

Put oil back in it... :) i noticed you hadn't put that on your list of things you did haha i assume you probably put oil in but just in-case.

I'm sure the tank is ok but to check you can lift the carpet in the back cargo area and there is a spot to access the fuel sending unit you might be able to see if there is any rust with a light and a dentist mirror.

Also IIRC there are two fuel filters on this rig one back by the tank under the car and another in the engine bay after the pump, the pump should be right on the drivers side under the hood on or next to the fire wall.

I would unhook the line to the carb run a jumper to the fuel pump and let it pump through the filters into a jug till there is nothing left then replace them you should have no problems run a bottle of fuel system cleaner with a clean tank of gas.

CHEERS R.

Put oil back in it... :) i noticed you hadn't put that on your list of things you did haha i assume you probably put oil in but just in-case.

I'm sure the tank is ok but to check you can lift the carpet in the back cargo area and there is a spot to access the fuel sending unit you might be able to see if there is any rust with a light and a dentist mirror.

Also IIRC there are two fuel filters on this rig one back by the tank under the car and another in the engine bay after the pump, the pump should be right on the drivers side under the hood on or next to the fire wall.

I would unhook the line to the carb run a jumper to the fuel pump and let it pump through the filters into a jug till there is nothing left then replace them you should have no problems run a bottle of fuel system cleaner with a clean tank of gas.

CHEERS R.

Pretty close to what I would do.

Some corrections:

The fuel level sending unit is accessed from the rear of the car not on the interior under the carpet like more modern Subaru's.

The fuel filters for this car are very cheap so I would recommend replacing both of them and as suggested watch what comes out of the filtered line under the hood. It would probably be best to put a few gallons in and manually run the fuel pump by jumpering power to it.