Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you adjust Idle speed on TBI ea82?

Guest oregonloyale

Guest oregonloyale

I want to adjust the idle speed alittle on my 92 ea82 loyale TBI but am not sure if I can ?Its running at about 500 instead of the suggested 700 rpm. I have done a complete tune up and it runs great but the idle is alittle off when its in gear.

Guest oregonloyale

It is a auto and I dont have a bad idle at initial startup its jst after about 15 minutes of driving , like when I get to a stoplight.

Guest x silvershad0w x

On the front of the throttle body, you will see the little 1/2 tube that feeds the Idle air control solenoid on the front. Subaru calls this something else, but it serves the same purpose, to give faster idle when cold start and when the A/C is on, etc. Subaru, instead of using a stepper motor, uses a normal DC solenoid, and they vary the ground on it to give different levels of idle speed.

So the first thing to check if you haven't service any Idle speed areas, would be the engine grounds and harness conectors. clean corrosion, and apply di-eleictric grease to connectors

The second area to check is an Idle adjsutment screw directly behind the IAC solenoid. It is large, and on the left side as you are looking at the SPFI unit. The passageway gets carboned up, you should take out that screw and remove the IAC housing (four screws) and use some seafoam/etc to clean out the carbon. Then you can use that screw for fine idle adjustments. It is a small needle valve, so not much air passes through it.

There is no adjustment on the IAC solenoid itself, like there is with GM style IAC's. The actual plunger and sprin is built into the small IAC housing assembly on the front of the TBI, and not on the IAC solenoid itself.