Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Subaru Coupe

Ok, I bought the '84 coupe off of Milemaker. Quite the interesting car, let me tell you. Now, I believe that the vaccuum advance is broken, it dies the later it gets into the RPM range, and I took the cap off and I could not move the advancer(technical term, I know) by hand, which I can with the hatch. Also, the ECS light comes on after about 15 miles of driving, can someone get a list of codes and how to check it please? And having the ECS light on, that means I have a feedback carb, right? Alright, thanks a bunch in advance, and thank you Milemaker again!

Well not sure about the distributor advance but climb under the steering wheel and pull that plastic panel off. It will be held on by three screws. Once its off you'll see a black box directly below the steering column. This is your computer. Start the car and drive it till the ECS light comes on again. Then read the codes. If i remember correctly its a series of short flashes followed by long flashes. So for example two short flashes followed by four long flashes would be the signal for code 24. Read the code and post it up and I or someone else will tell you what it means. Most of the time its going to be the coolant temp sensor.

ECS light on a carb'd implies feedback carb.

If i remember correctly its a series of short flashes followed by long flashes. So for example two short flashes followed by four long flashes would be the signal for code 24.

Long, then short. 2 long and 4 short makes 24.