Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4runner

I sold my wrx and bought a 95 4runner. I know a lot of people on here have 4runners so what are some good forums for them. I also didn't get an owners manual and have never owned a 4wd truck so i'm not exactly sure how to put it in 4wd. It has the lever inside with 2h. 4h and 4L. And the locks on the wheels but i don't know if there is a certin way to do it.Thanks for the help.

A 95 Probably has auto hubs like my 89 Van does.

It wants me to stop, switch the lever to 4H and then take off.

I could scan my little card that fits in the sunvisor if you wish. Toyota can probably get an owners manual for around 12 dollars IIRC.

On a side note I bet you are saving $$$ not having the WRX being an 18-19 year old male driver. That must have hurt bad to pay for.

Pretty much the same method for any manual 4x4-

Lock the hubs. It doesn't hurt to drive with the hubs locked, it may reduce the fuel mileage a bit, but should be done every now and then to keep the front end properly lubed.

Step on the brakes, put the transmission in neutral (manual or auto, do not have in gear or park), and pull the lever to 4x4 high or low. Move the lever quickly, or you may hear a little gear grind.

Put the truck back in gear, and go.

On most 4x4 vehicles with manual hubs and a manual transfer case, you can shift on the move if you shift to neutral first. I have succesfully done this with most of my vehicles, especially my old F250. I would have it in and out of 4x4 all day at mud runs- put it in 4x4 to get through the ruts, then slip it back into 2wd to blast some donuts in an open field.

Getting back out of 4x4 is about the opposite, but if the stick doesn't move easily out of 4x4, try allowing the vehicle to roll a little, or just move the steering wheel back and forth. This should help relieve driveline bind.

With auto hubs, engaging is the same except for getting out and locking hubs, and disengaging is the same except for most you need to back up about ten feet or so to unlock the hubs.