Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

just a simple question...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TuningPegs_*

Guest_TuningPegs_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:21 PM

what are the differences between teh outback and the legacy's...the only differences i see are prices..and the name ofcourse...
thanks

-sam
:)

#2 Guest_tcspeer_*

Guest_tcspeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:32 PM

I have a 97 Subaru Legacy Wagon, and when I see the Outback it looks like a much heavyier built Wagon then mine. I don't know the real difference but I would think a lot would be in supenison and height.

#3 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:54 PM

mechanically....not a whole hell of a lot. When it originally came out, it was just a legacy with some extra trim options and suspension.

Subaru is marketing it as it's own line.....IMO it will always be a legacy.

About the only thing you'll get is slightly higher ground clearance and different styling.

#4 Guest_Commuter_*

Guest_Commuter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:19 PM

It depends on which generation you are looking at.

The OB was nothing more than a "trim" level of a wagon in 1995 to my understanding. First year the name existed.

1996 to 1999

They took the wagon and made a bunch of changes. The roofline was bumped up (but doors and windows unaffected). Bumpers changed to more "rugged" look. The suspension was redone to give the wagon roughly 2" more ride height. Longer travel in the suspension, not just a lift. 15" wheels, not 14; larger brakes. 2.5L engine only. Probably some other things I'm not thinking of right now. Eg, a fake scoop in the hood. Roof rails standard I believe. 2 tone paint scheme (grey/silver lower panels). Etc. I have a 97 OB. Note that some of these differences are shared. Eg, the Legacy 2.5 GT has the same size wheel and brakes I believe.

2000+

I don't know as much about these. I think there is only one body style. That is, they "bumped" the roofline partially, and use it for the OB and Wagon. Cladding on the OB. Again, the raised suspension. Not sure if the bumpers are different or not. H6 engine first introduced only in the Outback top models. And probably other stuff.

This site www.cars101.com should give you a run down of all the differences.

Commuter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users