Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Piston Rings?

So, the '79 spun a bearing last week. Luckily, I found a donor vehicle 2 hours away in SC. The guy said the motor had 82K original miles. I took him at his word and bought. Tore the motor out on Sunday. Soaked the major bolts in penetrating oil for two days and finally pulled the heads off tonight.

The cylinders still have cross hatch marks and no ridges to ream. I really don't want to split the cases.

Any thoughts on replacing the piston rings?

Eric

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=512379&id=1555183440

These motors are really very durable and with only 82k on it i would say its just now getting broken in lol. If its still got the crosshatching i wouldnt bother. While you have the heads off, and if you have the money, maybe give it a valve job and new seals. Good luck. Btw...that motor looks pretty damn clean to me in the picture.

The motor really is very clean (mechanically). The valve seats still have a sharp machined edge! They should seal fine. The seals were hard but that is expected after 30 years. I was suprised by the low valve spring pressure. I didn't even need the handle on the valve spring compressor. Simply turned the shaft by hand. I am considering touching up the valve ports; taking the casting lines and dimples out of the port. Nothing radical.

The front and rear crank seals were weaping so the block is caked in oil. After sleeping on it, I'll probably just clean up the heads, replace all the gaskets and put her back together.

After spinning a bearing in the other motor, it is nice to see a good looking motor.

Eric