Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester Mods for better MPG, performance

I am buying a 2001 Forester and was wondering who out there has experience with aftermarket and/or do it yourself mods for the Forester. Not necessarily off road mods, just performance optimizers like high performance plugs and wires. Or even interior improvements. I didn't see a category for this on the board. Is there a discussion I can look up?

A few years ago when I was in the BMW community, I spent a lot of time on my early Z3 and got some good results. I like low cost ideas that may not make a big difference by themselves but add a few up, and you can have an extra 10-20 HP, better mpg, or just improve the life and function of the car.

Stick with the factory plulgs and wires. I've had nothing but problems with aftermarkets on these cars and the factory stuff performs very well.

The Forester has the same motor as the 2.5RS so there are plenty of aftermarket options available. I.e. Cold air intake, or KN drop in filter, Light weight crank pully, etc.(Not everything cross polinates, so do your research before buying)

Exhaust stuff will likely be a bit different, but thats another option.

Subaru has tons of optional stuff for those cars that is often still available for interior modification and exterior accesories. (Floor mats, shift knobs, high rise center console, etc)

Dan