Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS Questions

I need to pull the fuse for my ABS (94 legacy GT Wgn) where do i find it? (Chiltons was very unhelpful)

The actual sensor broke off where it attaches to the wheel/brake assembly( long story) any advice on possible DIY fix? Any guestimates on (cringe ) dealer repair?

I daresay i can live without it!

I've also always wanted to use word " daresay"

Thanks,

jclay

I dare say, that it's two words!

What exactly broke off? The sensor is attached by a single bolt through the hub assy, isn't it?

There is a fuse box under the hood, which also houses a few relays. There is another fuse box on the lower left side of the driver footwell.

I just replaced a damaged abs sensor on the right front wheel of my '99 OBW. The sensor was about $110 at http://www.1stsubaruparts.com and took about 15 minutes to install. It was a very easy fix, the sensor is attached to a cable which goes through the wheel well to a connector. The sensor and cable are all one unit secured by three bolts. I didn't mess around with pulling any fuses, I just replaced the sensor and all is well.

Thanks for the responses. On my car (94 leg. gt wgn)the hose or whatever comes from the control unit, through the fender and attaches to the assembly by means of a rubber cap with metal prongs inside. I assume the prongs are meant to be compressed, slid into the assembly housing (w/ sensor) where they expand and hold onto the inside. There are no bolts. does anyone have experience with this (older?)system? perhaps a trip to my favorite junkyard is in order. I assumed ABS=Dealer=$$$$, but maybe i'll track down what i need.

Thanks again for all responses.

jclay

I pulled the fuse on my 95 using the Haynes manual- I had to amke sure the wheel was straight, put the key in the lock position, disconnect the negative cable, wait a few minutes for the reserve battery chare to drain then pull it(mine was obvious it had a yellow protective cover which was a bugger)

All of this to prevent the costly repair of a bag going off-well worth it- Get another manual