Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

92 Legacy making awful noises at 2000+rpms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KittyPaws

KittyPaws

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Minneapolis

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

I changed my drive belts early last week, and tightened the one that goes to the alternator a little too much (figured this out because of the rough growling noise engine was making). After driving for a day or so, I loosened it up quite a bit. This seemed to fix the noise problem, so I thought everything was ok.

This morning on the way to work, a terrible, very loud noise started coming from my engine, but only when rpms reached 2000 and above. The noise is kind of low pitched, growling, but seems to be a little cyclic, and is WAY louder than the noise previously mentioned. I guess it could be a grinding noise, although I don't want to be too quick to call it grinding. While at a stoplight, I decided to test the noise out a bit since there wasn't any road noise to interfere. When idling at about 750rpm car sounds normal. I revved it up past 2k, and the noise suddenly started right at the 2k mark.

I'm not sure if this new noise is related to the drive belts, and I'm going to hop under the hood after work tonight, but thought I'd ask for suggestions. I'm saving up for an STI, and can't afford big money in car repairs or a new car yet :( So I'm hoping it's something simple, or that I can fix myself.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated!!

#2 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:38 PM

check the exhaust shields... they like to rattle at certain rpm's..

#3 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:52 PM

Do you have A/C? It might be your compressor's clutch, maybe went snafooey? Have you looked in the bay, checked to see if anything is loose?

#4 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:25 PM

Run it without the belt (s) to see if its belt or accessory related. I'm guessing that over tightening the belt messed up a bearing some place. With the belt off, rotate the accessory pulleys to see if you can locate the source.
On the other hand, you may have loosened a belt too much and it's squealing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users