Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently totalled my 99 legacy wagon with a manual transmission, and would like to switch to automatic, however I test-drove a 2004 wagon, prepared to love it, but found it to be loud and the shifting not too smooth, esp. between 3rd and 4th. I have driven a loaner Forester which I did not notice any problem with the automatic. I also don't mind the automatic in my rental or on others that I have driven. Anyone else notice this problem with the wagon? I need a new car immediately, but am now a little flustered. The Forester with sunroof is a little pricey compared to the Wagon special edition.

Bought an O4' Legacy Special Edition in October. I haven't noticed the tranny making noises...it isn't super smooth but is more than tolerable. We love the car, my wife even said there wasn't one thing she would change about it! We debated between the manual and automatic pretty hard, went with the auto because my wife had trouble pushing in the clutch. It is a great car!

On another note, the subaru extended warranty is way over priced, got one through our credit union for half the price and we can choose the mechanic.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm having a friend test drive the car to get a second opinion. If I still don't like it, I'll probably get the manual transmission.

Thanks for the info on the extended warranty - I'll take my chances again - so far it has worked out.

Joan