Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 Gl Trouble code 14

One long, four short,, Hanyes manual say:

Fuel injector #1,#2, (Abnormal injector outbput)

Only this is a TBI engine?? Does that mean the throttle body injector is bad? This is the car that has no idle(rough) and no power, will run over 2K nice and smooth in the garage, but no power to drive, and backfires.

Priced a new fuel pump, 239$$ ouch,, so I went to the local P_A_P and grapped up a used one,, 6.95. Swapped it out and started the car, it runs better but still no idle and still some backfire when you step on the throttle. The code changed from 14 one long four short to 5 short, which is just a

engine ID code. I ran it in the garage for over 5 min to warm it up, and the engine purrs at 2K + rpm. Super quiet/ smooth,, now it will idle down to around 1200-1500 before it starts to lope. I am starting to think maybe a bad signal from dist. When I do get this thing figured out,, the engine should be a nice runner.. Oil pressure runs from 45-65 while running. No smoke and no rod/crank noise, Just need to figure out this thing, Why will the TBI not start unless you open the throttle plate? that may help me figure this thing out..

Priced a new fuel pump, 239$$ ouch,, so I went to the local P_A_P and grapped up a used one,, 6.95. Swapped it out and started the car, it runs better but still no idle and still some backfire when you step on the throttle. The code changed from 14 one long four short to 5 short, which is just a

engine ID code. I ran it in the garage for over 5 min to warm it up, and the engine purrs at 2K + rpm. Super quiet/ smooth,, now it will idle down to around 1200-1500 before it starts to lope. I am starting to think maybe a bad signal from dist. When I do get this thing figured out,, the engine should be a nice runner.. Oil pressure runs from 45-65 while running. No smoke and no rod/crank noise, Just need to figure out this thing, Why will the TBI not start unless you open the throttle plate? that may help me figure this thing out..

Hi,

reading along this, and your original thread , the problems could be as simple as OLD GAS, almost all the issues you describe are consistant with a car that sat for some time and the gas is gone bad. it only needs a few months to cause these type problems. did you pump out the old gas and put fresh in before running your newly repaired motor? if no , you should do that, and even then it could take 2-3 hundred miles driving to get normal again. the connection at the coolent temp sensor for the fi is a known problem for these cars and if it is not getting a good signal the fi may be seeing the engine as cold and causing a over rich condition when warmed up.

Also +1 for what ROBM said above.