Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is the final story on clutch shutter and burning smell?

Here in Holland a reader of THE major camping magazine posted he had some troubles with his Subaru Forester (2.0) clutch (shutter)and that the car sometime had a burning smell.

As a reply the magazine got over 200 letters from other owners and started to make a big issue of it.

Here Subaru's are popular for caravan towing (up to 1500kg) but still are not sold in great numbers so this is a large number.

The magazine asked te main Subaru distributer (is that what you call it?) to reply. He promissed to get an answer from Subaru Japan....

Now whats the conclusion of the USMB on these isues.

I have a 96 Ouback with automatic transmission, so I never really read the shutter stories. I had the smell years ago but then only when towing a 1400 kg caravan up hill.

The bruning smell has lots of explinations:

- wrong grease in the drive axles (I don't believe that but..)

- oil leaking or blown on the exhaust (could be)

I don't mind to send a letter to the magazine.

What would you suggest I put in it?

What is the cause and what is the solution?

And which models does it effect?

Jaap

Boxer engines put extra stress on their valve cover seals because the oil tends to stay in the "top" of the engine. With age comes a tendency to leak, on the underside where most people dont see it, and the oil runs straight onto the exhaust manifolds. This is most likely the cause of the burning smell. Valve cover gaskets are cheap and easy to replace. The PCV valve should be replaced at the same time - to avoid excess gas pressure inside the engine block, pushing the oil out.

If the right side CV boot has been replace and the mechanic didn't wipe excess grease of the axle it will fly off and hit the catalyst - REALLY bad burning smell, but harmless.

The clutch judder can be terrible. The only fix is to get a new clutch. Subaru knows it, but it can be difficult to get a dealer to admit it.