Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newby from MN

Hi guys newby here im from nelson MN i just picked up a subaru GT 10 turbo wagon 5spd for 50 bucks.runs drives everything works just allittle rust on the back Quarters and the paint is crap.ill get some pics tomorrow.lookin to get some info on the weeknesses of this model and some good modifications for it to.i think these had the EA81 motor in them.not sure what i wanna do with it yet its not a 4wd version but was thinkin of either lifting it and makin it 4wd or just makin it a summer time sleeper kinda thing.

other people will be more helpful with motor help, but i can definetally tell ya that that rust on there is very common. get it sanded down and filled in before it spreads. if your gonna paint it i hope your ready. i have paint guns, all the mixing equipment, air compressor and such. did a full repaint on my 1987 Subaru GL wagon carb. masking everything off is the most pain staking part.

Welcome to the USMB. :)

would be most helpful to know what year your car is....

and "GT" ??? more likely GL...

OH and fair warning right up front - you are gonna hear a LOT about how crappy the early turbo motors are and that you should swap in something else - hope you have thick skin.

these cars can be a lot of fun, but you need to understand that they are NOT powerhouses and there is VERY little aftermarket stuff for making more "power" out of the stock motor - it just isnt available unless you have gobs & gobs of money to throw around getting custom parts made, and even then, well, good luck.

do lots of reading here, search is your friend, educate yourself about what you have, then decide what you want/can do with it - realistically.