Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cylinder Head Replacement...HELP!

Ok, that's music to my ears! I was wondering if they had external oil pumps since everyone seems to have done those seals and no one's said anything about pulling the oil pan. Groovy, I'll try to do that this weekend then, maybe.

snotrocket: Ok, fine, everything leaks, but very slowly, and strangly (or not) the front of the engine is bone dry. It's the top and the sides and the bottom and the back and the inside that's covered in oil and stuff. I swear, the front is the only clean part of the engine.

So I guess it's oil change time. I'm completely on-board with the guys who say not to switch to synth on an older car, but I'll put the 15w30 Mobil high mileage stuff in there. Do the o-ring in the spout and the oil pressure guage (I have this perfect hole in my dash that's been waiting 6 months for gauges and I just haven't done it yet. Finally going to do it, yay!) and we'll see what we can see.

Ok, yeeeehaaaaa! external oil pump!!

thanks, I'll let you know how it goes,

Marissa

It's hiding from me. The problem is in cognito.

Did an oil change, put 10W30 in and a new K&N oil filter (I know, I know, but I really love that nut on the end since you can't get a strap wrench up there on the EJ22s). IT RAN WORSE. Weird. But yeah, doesn't like the thicker oil. I've been driving it for a day or two now and it seems to have calmed down, but at first, it was a horribly rough ride.

We've also managed to pinpoint the noise to the "underside of the second cylinder". (I have no idea, I let my boyfriend touch the car again :banghead: while I regestered for classes for next quarter.) It's loud and ticking and making me nuts.

Also noticed that my legacy doesn't like antifreeze. In fact, it seems to drive best if the coolant resevoir is below empty. Right.

Discuss among yourselves. Go. I'll be in the basement with my liquor and my blues music, planning my own brain aneurism.