Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Fuel evaporative controls functional" failed smog

92 Loyale, FWD. 170000 miles.

Failed smog with FUEL EVAPORATIVE CONTROLS FUNCTIONAL.

Googled for solutions. They say that I need to chase a line from the fuel tank to the canister. There might be a cracked hose or something.

Can anybody provide more details on that?

I would guess that a fuel cap might be at fault as well.

Thank you,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

The tech most likely did not hook the test machine correctly! I checked everything I could myself and found nothing.

I decided to pay them for diagnostics. Guess what? They hooked their equipment, test it again and I passed.

For those who need information on this problem here is sources I was able to find:

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38910

Here is some excerpts from that page:

Checking for faulty canister:

Detach the canister from the firewall.

Detach the intake tube hose and put your fingers on the end of the canister inlet fitting.

Warm the engine to normal operating temperature, then increase the engine speed to 2500 rpm. If the canister is functioning correctly, air will be drawn into the canister through the inlet tube and you will feel suction. If you don't feel suction, replace the canister.

this is for those who have fail the EVAP during the functional smog test.

===

We pinch off the vapor line from the gas tank at the cannister and put an adapter in the filler neck and pump a 1/2 lb of pressure into the tank. The test machine checks for small leaks.

This being said it is either the tank, the filler neck, or the vapor line from the tank to the cannister.

Included in "tank" is the seal for the fuel pump/ sending unit.

Sam