Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 AT to MT D/R swap - wiring question

brox

I have an '87 GL (Loyale) with an EA82 and it used to have an AT. I put a MT with Dual Range (from an '85) into it.

I need help with the wiring.

There are the 3 plugs for the AT:

(Plug colour: wire colour + wire colour)

Black: black + blue/red

White: green/yellow + blue/yellow

Yellowish: black + green/black

img0175kw.jpg

And the 1 plug for the MT that later splits into 2 plugs

One white plug: green + green/white + black + blue red

img0176no.jpg

The Green + Green/White wires go to a white plug on the MT (I assume this to be the back up light switch). The Black + Blue/Red wires go to a plug on the top of the very back of the MT and I'm not too sure what this is for (maybe 4wd indicator).

What I need to know is, which wires from the AT wiring harness (coming from the car) do I connect to the 4 wires going to the MT? My repair manual only speaks of these plugs but doesn't give any specific details about them.

In addition to these wires, I am looking for my Neutral Start Switch (because the car will not even pretend to start, I hope this is the solution). My manual says it will either be above the clutch pedal or just behind the Back Up Light Switch. It appears in neither place. I have the pedals and wiring harnesses (and many, many other parts) from the '85 donor vehicle.

On the '87 AT harness, there is a white, 2-prong plug for the brake pedal and a black one for the gas pedal.

On the '85 MT harness, there is no black plug but there is a white one for the brake pedal. The clutch pedal area has no mounting for a switch. Could that other set of wires that disappear to the top, back of the MT be the switch I'm looking for? (I didn't take note of the appearance of this plug before mounting up the MT.

Thanks.

Edited by brox

One of the MT plugs is reverse lights, the other is a 4wd light (or low range). Don't hook up any of the AT wires to the MT. The wires for the Neutral Safety Switch and reverse lights are on you're older inhibitor switch. It is the large plug on the old shifter that tells the dash which gear you are in. I just cut the switch side of the plug, soldered the starter wires together (Should be the bigger two, black I believe), then wired the reverse lights to a rocker switch. You can wire them to the transmission side switch, but mine kept blowing the fuse, which also feeds the windows and turn signals, so I bypassed it. The 4wd light is up to you, whether you want to deal with it or not, I skipped it. It won't keep it from working.

Thanks so much for the info. That worked like a charm. And it was all so simple. That is, once I figured out that the wire colours in my repair manual were different from the actual wire colours.

Reverse lights work and I was able to get it to turn over! That's the first time since I bought it last fall.

Time to go get some gas.