Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 2 shock inserts

Front struts are adjustable or not and you cant switch the inserts the brackets are all welded to the strut assembly. Adjusters shown below in the photo, if they aren't adjustable they just don't have that. I believe the 4wd ones have a different height for the lower perch but I haven't taken the time to get them all side by side before. I believe a 233024 from KYB is going to work on any 4wd but remaining units that I can order are not adjustable. $60/ea

UNI_0123.jpg

I'll rephrase- I have some inserts, I have several strut asembllies that I may use them in, both adjustable and not. these inserts are not the part thats welded that you referanced. They drop inside of that part. by inserts I mean the actual shock absorber part of the strut assembly. the only thing that could be different for the shock part between 4 wd and not would be travel, which I don't see why that would need to be different, since it doesn't look like the 4wd struts are actually any longer, they are just adjustable in that if you compress the spring, it is stiffer and your car will not sit as low on the suspension.

anyways i don't know for sure if my inserts are for the adjustable (4wd) or not (2wd).

I think the confusion is that there are aftermarket (kyB, monroe, etc) struts out now where the shock comes with the rest of it, and can't be removed, where I believe the original subaru struts were like a sleeve for these inserts.

Should be able to do either side, all the part numbers on my systems are just front or rear for anything before 84. I didn't know they used to be an insert without the perch on the 80-84, I knew they were for the prior generations.