Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

spfi and mpfi.. how do they work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_subarugsr_*

Guest_subarugsr_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 03:55 AM

i am familiar with the workings of mpfi, but is anyone able to explain or diagramitcally show me wat and how SPFI works?

#2 Guest_Skip_*

Guest_Skip_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:55 AM

They both operate basicly the same
when warm they are in closed loop
ECU watches the 02 sensor output and adjusts the pulse width duration to tries to achieve a stoichiometric A/F ratio.
Only diff is the SPFI has one big injector the MPFI has four (two operate simlu so it's not a true "sequential" system, it's called a "batch" system)
Hope this helps

#3 Guest_oobnuker_*

Guest_oobnuker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 08:01 AM

SPFI is basically a glorified carb. It is a single injector, mounted in a throttle body that resembles a traditional carb. There are a lot of electronics involved still, but not as much as an MPFI or Turbo setup.

Hope this helps.

#4 Guest_jon61484_*

Guest_jon61484_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 08:08 AM

SPFI: single port fuel injected (like what he described.)
MPFI: multi port fuel injected (one injector in each cylinder)

and yeah, the SPFI was designed as a replacement for a carburated car. (Fords, Chevys, have single port fuel injector setups that can work right onto the small block manifolds)

#5 Guest_subarugsr_*

Guest_subarugsr_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:14 PM

i am considering shoving a turbo on an EA71, if i adapted the manifold for a SPFI unit to fit, added computers etc, it would work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users