Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie to Subies

Greetings everyone!

I am soon to be the second owner of a 1982 Subaru brat GL. Found this little gem being sold by the original owner. @ 242k miles its not in the best of shape but it runs and drives and not to bad on the rust since its a texas car.

Im excited to get this car as I havent truly had a project car. Ive got my 10ae miata thats slow turning into a show car and my DD s2000. But each of those cars got to run the next day if I do anything to them. Thats where this brat comes in. Its goingto be the work mule and if it breaks Im going to fix it and improve it over the course its down.

Ill be lurking around often now and dont be surprised when I begin to ask for pointers on getting a wrx engine and tranny in to update the technology. I plan to do it the simplest way possible. Strip every thing from one and make the Brat fit on top :grin: As simple as it sounds it will take some fabrication and time. But thats what this car is for.

Off to the search button to figure out how the dual range mode actually engages. I figure out that all the way up is 4wd all the way down is fwd. Is the middle 4wd low?

Edited by kidloco

wicked video. I dont see my self being that ambitious with the swap. Pretty much brat on the out side and if im lucky 02-07 wrx on the inside. Been browsing over the forums so far and picking up lots of info. but ultimately ive got to wait until my salvage wrx comes in to begin :)