Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Hopefully just a dead battery?
Posted 12 August 2003 - 01:33 AM
Had to jump it to start it up. Let it run with the jump connected for about 10 minutes, thought everything was OK. Took it for a drive, after about 10 more minutes, BAM, all electrical power shuts off. Luckily I had a friend following me. I coasted into a parking lot, found that the car had no electrical power at all, even the dash warning lights wouldn't come on. After a few minutes of sitting all the sudden everything came back on. On trying to start it it'd lose all power again.
Jumped it again, let it idle for a while, seemed to run OK. Went to take it home, moved about 3 feet, and all the sudden I have no electrical power again. Jumped it one more time, and the second I turned the headlights on it died again.
About this time I'd had enough of this; I went home and grabbed the battery out of one of my other cars and stuck it in. The car fired right up and ran fine all the way home. I wasn't going to test it though, as it took about 10 minutes for it to die the first time.
I've never had a car with a dead battery do anything like this before. I mean, with every dead battery I had, as soon as the car was running it was fine. The alternator seems to be good as well, I didn't have any headlight dimming or anything. No gradual loss of electrical either. It was just BOOM, one second its on, the next its off.
Could something other than a bad battery be causing this? Or do Soobs with totally fried batteries behave this way?
Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:18 AM
Posted 12 August 2003 - 06:54 AM
Total shut down and then back to life is a bad connection.
Battery ground at the tranny?
And do look at (buy removing) the main fusible link.
It's the one closest to the strut tower -- luvs to corrode and semi meltdown the connector.
Hope it's an easy one.
Posted 12 August 2003 - 08:04 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users