Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Brat wheels/size/upgrade

Hi guys, I'm not a wheel person and cannot figure out what the factory offset is. Can anyone chime in?

Secondly, what is the largest width that I can fit on the Brat? I am getting a set of custom PCD adapter plates to convert over to 4x100. So I am now wheel shopping.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi, this seems very interesting.

I don't have a strait answer for your question, at least based on my own experience.....my 79 Brat has always used 13".

Still, I believe that as long as all the tires, specially the front ones don't rub the fenders while cornering nor falling into a pothole, you should be ok.

But, please what are you planning to do with this truck: keep it stock, low riding, off road?

I can't count the number of times I've looked for a diagram like that. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Minor suggestion -- any chance of adding the center bore to the diagram? :-)

[ Edit: your original build thread is freakin' awesome! I don't know why I missed that diagram in it.... Oh well ] 

Edited by bendecker

Thanks! That helps alot. I M planning on just building a street Brat. Bigger wheels for better tire selection. I'm planning on going with 15's. I will try to get pics of my ride up later.

Its a custom piece i am having made. I will post pics of it when it comes in. Basically its a spacer that converts your 4x140 to 4x100. I dont really see them in use here in the states but they are used often in Japan.

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at my Brat Thread there is some info on wheels. I run 14" PUGs with a cheap tires. only problemm in going bigger is the rear suspension setup. After I go solid axle in the rear wont be a problem. Also dont go to far out from the stock offset or wheel bearings will suffer.

Please update the thread as I want to see how it turns out.

I am toying with the idea of doing this with 17 inch rims.  Same offset and stuff as above.  It adds just under 2 inches to overall diameter (just under an inch closer to the fenders at any point), and just over an inch to width with a 205/50-17.  I think there is enough space that it wouldn't quite hit fenders at any point.  It would give a little more flotation to crawl over snow.  It would also give just under an inch of extra clearance to get over stuff.

Another size I am considering because I would really like the extra flotation -- a Brat is already so light it can crawl over snow that the bigger 4wd's just sink into -- is 16 inch rims, same offset, but 8 inch instead of 7 with 245/50-16 tires.  That size adds almost 2.5 inches to width and a little under 2.5 inches to diameter (just under 1.25 inches closer to the fenders).  I would want to do a lot more measuring before I tried to go this far with the stock suspension.

My biggest concern going up in tire size is does a stock Brat 1.6 have enough power to still move the car with the bigger tires?

Looking for input/thoughts/opinions.

I am toying with the idea of doing this with 17 inch rims.  Same offset and stuff as above.  It adds just under 2 inches to overall diameter (just under an inch closer to the fenders at any point), and just over an inch to width with a 205/50-17.  I think there is enough space that it wouldn't quite hit fenders at any point.  It would give a little more flotation to crawl over snow.  It would also give just under an inch of extra clearance to get over stuff.

Another size I am considering because I would really like the extra flotation -- a Brat is already so light it can crawl over snow that the bigger 4wd's just sink into -- is 16 inch rims, same offset, but 8 inch instead of 7 with 245/50-16 tires.  That size adds almost 2.5 inches to width and a little under 2.5 inches to diameter (just under 1.25 inches closer to the fenders).  I would want to do a lot more measuring before I tried to go this far with the stock suspension.

My biggest concern going up in tire size is does a stock Brat 1.6 have enough power to still move the car with the bigger tires?

Looking for input/thoughts/opinions.

"My biggest concern going up in tire size is does a stock Brat 1.6 have enough power to still move the car with the bigger tires?"

Again, there were many reasons I went with the tires and wheels mentioned in my build and above.  The 1.6 turns what I put on them but I would never add the extra 10 pounds per wheel and tire to run something that big.

You gotta remember that these are 1970's cars that we want to look modern, lol.  Not vice-versa.