Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a differance in the factory subwoofers in the 99 Outbacks. I have a couple that I've gotten out of 98 Outbacks at the junk yard that are 80watts. Today I found a 99 with a lager sized subwoofer. There is no wording on it, but the speaker in it is bigger as well.

post-32811-0-38169100-1368577892_thumb.jpg

I don't know if there is any difference among the 99 Outbacks, but as you pointed out, it looks like Subaru went to a larger sub and probably more powerful amp with the newer sub setup.  That larger one looks similar to ones I've seen in a friend's 00 Impreza RS, so I would guess that the larger sub is what the 99 and newer Outbacks got.

Care to share the link on the dual subwoofers?

It looks like they just piggy back the 2 sub woofers together. here is the link from NASIOC. Either plug 2 wire harnesses together or splice the wires to like color coded wires.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694024

I'm going to try this, hopefully it will work. Although I do have the 6 disc cd changet under the passenger seat, so not sure where I'll fit the second sub.

Today I finally got around to installing the second sub woofer in my 96 Outback. Here are some pics of the set up. I had to fit them both under the drivers seat since I have the factory 6 disc CD changer under the passenger seat. I plugged the 2 subwoofers together and then plugged them into the stereo. The first pic show them in position as how they will be when the seat is in place. In the second pic since the sticky double sided foam tape wasn't so sticky, I unscrewed the holding bracket and attached both sub woofers to one to hold them in place so they wouldn't move around. The last pic is how they look with the seat all the way forward.

post-32811-0-91933300-1369452164_thumb.jpg

post-32811-0-40342100-1369452182_thumb.jpg

post-32811-0-49074400-1369452195_thumb.jpg

Sound better with 2?  

Yes and no, lot more bass, but now it has what I call ghetto vibrating noise, sounds like everything on the car is vibrating apart. I'll work on adjusting the 2 screws to see if I can get that to go away. Maybe I need new speakers.