Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI ea81 TB question

Ok well the conversion is complete and running. 

please find below a picture of the tB.  there is a screw top right hand corner of the picture, a large spade screwdriver fits it, what is its purpose and how do I adjust it?  The bottom left hand of the same picture is the throttle stop and I assume that is the idle adjustment which I had to adjust to get it to idle at 700-800rpm (it was 450rpm and threatening to stall).

IMG_0010-3.jpg

Finally.  I had an issue with starting it today.  Checked everything and came to th conclusion it was flooded.  So disconnected the fuel pump and it started. Reconnected fuel pump - no more starting issues.  Why would it flood? Are these easy to flood or could it be a fuel issue- eg injector allowing too much fuel into tB?

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

thanks in advance.

I've had one guy tell me its jets adjustment. then I shouldnt have
touched it. my ride was great- very smooth but 60mph top speed. and
when I go from full throttle to mid throttle the speed increases a bit.
must be rich. any suggestions? I dont want to screw it in and make it
all too lean.

I have had the following answer from a fellow mate in Oz

"Yeah the screw is just a bypass for the butterfly. Wind it out and it
lets more air through making the engine idle faster. Mixtures are set by
the ECU and there is no adjustment."

If thats the case I dont seem to have a big problem here!!

Edited by tweety

lol  4 replies and they're all mine.

Here is the drawing of the IAS. seems I dont have many problems now.  except it feels a little down on power only making 60mph in top gear (auto) injector cleaner could be the answer.

IMG_0001.jpg

Yes, mixture is set by the ECU, so without messing with the output of a sensor you will not mess with the mixture.  I don't have time at the moment to confirm, but that does look like the screw that allows more intake air to bypass the throttle butterfly.

Although the lack of power at upper end might be mixture related, in general it is more likely to be ignition related.  I assume that you have all new spark wires and cap and rotor.  Plugs MIGHT be fouled, but my money would be put on a timing issue:  Either the base timing is off significantly (5 or more degrees) or the "green diagnostic connectors" are connected and holding the timing static.

Sorry about the lack of previous responses... over here we like to sleep.  ;)

Cheers!

thankyou guys.  yeh, I know you like to sleep lol. I was joking there.  the engine has good iridium plugs, new 8.8mm leads etc.  the iridium plugs are 44 thou gap type. could put the old standard ones back in and try it.  test connectors arent connected. cap and rotor good.  Who would ever know how many years since this unit was last running.  It came from Alaska originally, likely got to the west coast and sent here.  so will use some fuel additive and see how it goes. Timing was set at 20 degrees. thanks again