Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01' Forester, Successful speedo and tach needle replacement!

fuel gauge and temp gauge..........not so much

Not sure if anyone has actually successfully replaced the needles for the temp and fuel gauges. But from all the thread searching I've no one else to be successful, so I wanted it to be known that yes it is possible to replace the speedo and tach needle with a little bit of help from my gps which helped with the speedo replacement, the tach I adjusted with my shifting pattern, Full throttle my ej25 shifts around 5 grand. so that's where i set it. I then verify by checking the shift pattern at normal driving conditions, usually shifts around 3 grand. I then further varified by seeing that I idled just above the second tick mark on the tachometer. 

This is fine and dandy, but uh.... the fuel guage and temp gauge are another story.

Niether one operates at all!! they dont move a bit. I positioned my temp needle at normal operating temp, when the vehicle was in fact at operating temp, checked in the morning and needle hadn't budged. Oh crap flags went off. 

I din't have much fuel in the tank so I waited till my low fuel indicator light illuminated and I positioned my needle between eighth and empty. Put ten dollars in and didn't budge a hair!!

So now I'm stuck trying to figure out if I'm missing some recalibration step or placing the needle wrong. 

I now realize that it isnt necessary to remove the needles to get to the green film, I've found that by gently, and I mean gently prying the prongs up that hold each of the guages mechanism in place, the guages can easily be removed.

I can live with the fuel as long as the fuel indicator light is working, but temp guage concerns me. I've never had it overheat or exceed operating temp......but knowing my luck lately.....

So if anyone know of a proper way to reset those two needles...PLEASE HELP!! or i may be in the dog house for a few days if my gf finds out that they don't work now.