Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear lateral link bushing replacement and rear wheel alignment

rear wheel alignment lateral link bushing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bill B.

Bill B.

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Minneapolis

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

I just got new tires on my 2002 Legacy L Wagon and noticed that the outside edge of the left rear tire was wearing.  I found that the rear wheel alignment bolts where frozen, and I could see that they had not been touched since the recall undercoating..  I made a video that can be accessed at

I cut off the bushing and bolt with a 4 inch x 1/6 inch x 3/8ID Norton Norzon cutoff wheel and a drill.  Glad I didn't try the sawzall method.  The hard part was removing the bushing from the lateral link and pressing in the new one, but I developed a method and the second one went much better than the first.  Also, I think I make the right choice by replaceing the inner bushing under the car, instead of trying to remove the outer bushing and replacing the lateral link and bushing as a unit.

The bushing was removed by first pushing the inner bushing sleeve out using puller, and then cuttling a slit in the outer sleeve with a hack saw.  I then broke the outer sleeve loose with a punch, and finished with a puller.

The most helpful technique I can share, is how I got the bushing pressed back into the lateral link.  I used a long 1/2 inch bolt.  one end had 2 washers.  The inner washer just fit inside the lateral link, and served to center the bolt head.  My 27mm socket head matched up with the bushing, and it went in straight.

Hope that helps

Bill

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,563 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

Bill,

Welcome to the USMB and thanks for the informative post and video!  I'm sure it'll help someone in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rear wheel alignment, lateral link bushing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users