Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sounds like a sticky lifter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Clack clack clack from passenger side bank on start up. Not too bad.. and goes away after warm up. 170K on the ej22. I've been running full synthetic for a couple of years. Could I do Seafoam in the oil or something else. Anything I might do besides get used to it. Thanks

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 9,827 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

What kind of oil filter are you using? Oil filter quality can cause lifter noise at startup.
If you have used several different filters and the noise is constant through all of them it could be a problem with the lifter, or the oil passage in the rocker shaft or rocker arm could be partially clogged.
Another thing to check is the bolts that hold the rocker shaft assembly to the head. Make sure they're tight.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 27 October 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#3 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

That's interesting about the filter. I usually get autozones gold version. The clacking started last week. About 2500 miles into a fresh oil change. Maybe I should swap the filter.. I'm still thinking there's an oil additive that would help clean things out. Is this advisable?

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 9,827 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

If you're using full synthetic there really isn't anything that will clean better than that.
You might try Marvels, but the effects will likely only be temporary.
My 96 lets me know its almost time to change the oil by doing exactly this. It starts clicking about 2500 miles in. I change the oil soon after (Valvoline maxlife and purolator or hastings filter) and have another 2500 noise free miles. Started doing that around 180k, still turning strong now at 227k.

#5 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well mines a 96 too. I've been running about 5k on each synthetic change. This is the first clacking. I guess I should think about changing sooner. Autozone has monthly deals. For 25 I get oil and filter. Usually Mobil 1. I'll see if changing helps.

#6 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

One other thing. I've been running 5-30 weight. The motor has 170K. Is that recommended?

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 9,827 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Unless its really hot all year round, 5w-30 is the recommended oil. No reason to run anything else.

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,675 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

I swear by 10w 30. I believe 5w30 is for climates consistently below freezing. 5w30 is thin in my opinion.  I suppose you can swtih to 10w30 and see if that changes anything. Otherwise, the lifters are not difficult to change. good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users